Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measurement unit to estimate job role maintenance effort

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can anyone share some ideas or experience in this case: In system ERP2005, developer provide all job role menu tcode, org level values and authorization object values, job role administrator only need to follow all provided information to create job role, generate profile and create transport.

The question is what measurement unit should be used to estimate job role administrator effort. My first idea is number of authorization objects, e.g. S_TCODE, S_DEVELOP, S_DATASET....

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well we work for a client where we get our effort estimates approved from the client before making the role changes. The measure we use is the number of tcodes to be added to a role or number of roles to be maintained.

Although, the effort estimate is provided based on experience and I agree with you the efforts should vary depending on the number of authorization objects that may get populated on the adding a tcode.

But, measuring efforts on such minute details would be a tough task.

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well we work for a client where we get our effort estimates approved from the client before making the role changes. The measure we use is the number of tcodes to be added to a role or number of roles to be maintained.

Although, the effort estimate is provided based on experience and I agree with you the efforts should vary depending on the number of authorization objects that may get populated on the adding a tcode.

But, measuring efforts on such minute details would be a tough task.

0 Kudos

>

> Well we work for a client where we get our effort estimates approved from the client before making the role changes. The measure we use is the number of tcodes to be added to a role or number of roles to be maintained.

> Although, the effort estimate is provided based on experience and I agree with you the efforts should vary depending on the number of authorization objects that may get populated on the adding a tcode.

> But, measuring efforts on such minute details would be a tough task.

Hi Subramaniam,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think depend on number of authorization objects is a good idea because some job roles have no transaction assigned in menu.

Regards,

Donald

Former Member
0 Kudos

How about number of...

Standard authorizations.

Maintained authorizations.

Disabled authorizations.

Changed authorizations.

Manually authorizations.

... and some sort of premium / penalty for number of:

Authorizations are green.

Authorizations are yellow.

... with increasing effort in the same order.

Just a thought

Julius

0 Kudos

>

> How about number of...

>

> Standard authorizations.

> Maintained authorizations.

> Disabled authorizations.

> Changed authorizations.

> Manually authorizations.

>

> ... and some sort of premium / penalty for number of:

>

> Authorizations are green.

> Authorizations are yellow.

>

> ... with increasing effort in the same order.

>

> Just a thought

> Julius

How about a reduction in costs for "*" values

0 Kudos

> How about a reduction in costs for "*" values

That, and if anything is found in the BIS field which is not in the value range of the data element or check table, then the one-armed-bandit cuts your hand off for free...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

>

> How about number of...

>

> Standard authorizations.

> Maintained authorizations.

> Disabled authorizations.

> Changed authorizations.

> Manually authorizations.

>

> ... and some sort of premium / penalty for number of:

>

> Authorizations are green.

> Authorizations are yellow.

>

> ... with increasing effort in the same order.

>

> Just a thought

> Julius

Hi Julius,

Thanks for your suggestion. In our case, developer knows all the required authorization objects before pass it to job role admin, therefore the effort of admin is minimal.

Regards,

Donald

0 Kudos

> Thanks for your suggestion. In our case, developer knows all the required authorization objects before pass it to job role admin, therefore the effort of admin is minimal.

Yep, but it might only be a minimal effort this time is what I was trying to emphasize.

Does the developer document these values they know in SU24, or in an email only? There is a big difference down the line for someone else who opens the role for maintenance and want to know where the heck the field values are coming from.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

>

> > Thanks for your suggestion. In our case, developer knows all the required authorization objects before pass it to job role admin, therefore the effort of admin is minimal.

> Yep, but it might only be a minimal effort this time is what I was trying to emphasize.

>

> Does the developer document these values they know in SU24, or in an email only? There is a big difference down the line for someone else who opens the role for maintenance and want to know where the heck the field values are coming from.

>

> Cheers,

> Julius

I'm the developer and will maintain the job role at sandbox system, test the job role and then document every object field value. After collect and pass the information to "Job Role Admin", the job role will be manufactured and profile generated accordingly.

0 Kudos

It is still not clear to me where this information from the developer is being documented though.

There are different ways of building roles, and some are more maintenance intensive and error prone than others...

Take a look on the authorizations tab of such a "manufactured" role in PFCG. Which status do the authorizations have? (standard, maintained, changed, manually)

Cheers,

Julius