Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parameters Tab in SU01

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All - Is there way I can mass assign a value in Parameters tab in su01 for users on system.

there are about 100 users for whom I want to assign a value in their parameter tab, is there any way I can do mass changes other than writing a ecatt or of that kind...

I am basically looking for tcode or something which will ease my job?

Thank you all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I am basically looking for tcode or something which will ease my job?

SU10 is the one you're looking for.

16 REPLIES 16

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I am basically looking for tcode or something which will ease my job?

SU10 is the one you're looking for.

0 Kudos

Hi Jurjen,

SU10 can be used to do mass changes for 18 odd users at a time ( I do not remember the exact number ) Please correct me if I am wrong.I have also found that in the older versions (4.7,4.6 etc)it does not have the password reset option.

Secondly, I think the transaction can only be used if the parameter and value to be assigned is going to be same to all users.

Hi AJ,

Ecatt is one possible solution but since you do not want to use it, you can also try LSMW (I have used that to create user groups quiet comfortably not too sure if it works with parameter assignment).

0 Kudos

Subramanian,

With the tcode SU10 there are no restrictions. Their might be a restriction but you its not to low as you mentioned. I did nearly for 150 to 200 users many times.

AJ,

You can use the tcode SU10 for your requirement.

Thanks,

Saga

0 Kudos

> SU10 can be used to do mass changes for 18 odd users at a time ( I do not remember the exact number ) Please correct me if I am wrong.

Well, I think you are. Do not mix up the first screen and the number of rows one can paste in there at a time, with the programs' capability.

> Secondly, I think the transaction can only be used if the parameter and value to be assigned is going to be same to all users.

That I assumed to be the case for OP.

0 Kudos

Hello Jurjen,

Thanks. I checked now and yes I was confused by finding no vertical scroll bar on the intial selection screen.

Also, found that a password is generated on creating users for each user.

Also, Can you clear my doubt on whether we can mass reset password for users using SU10. Although I know that it is a security breach to assign same password for each user but then we have such requirements for sandbox systems wherein I do not think it should be much of a security concern.

Regards,

Subbu

0 Kudos

As far as I know SU10 does not work for mass password reset. The easiest thing to do in my opinion is to create an eCATT script to reset the password through SU01. It can reset hundreds of passwords in a few minutes.

0 Kudos

> The easiest thing to do in my opinion is to create an eCATT script to reset the password through SU01.

Provided that eCATT is allowed on your system..... I am working on a VBA script that sends keystrokes to SU01 to get around that problem.....

0 Kudos

The by far easiest way would be to create an ABAP calling BAPI_USER_CHANGE. By doing this, you could either feed in a pre-specified password for all users or a list of users/passwords based on a pre-defined algorithm or range or whatever. You could even define your own "randomization" logic, possibly even based on the user ID's, to generate an initial password.

To top it off, you could build in a simple form that sends an e-mail to each user, informing them of their new password... since the BAPI is RFC enabled, you could have it span a range of systems, with or without CUA, as you wish...

Why dabble with VBA or other languages when we have ABAP, our own programming environment, readily available and fully integrated in SAP... ?

Trond

0 Kudos

>

> > The easiest thing to do in my opinion is to create an eCATT script to reset the password through SU01.

> Provided that eCATT is allowed on your system..... I am working on a VBA script that sends keystrokes to SU01 to get around that problem.....

I would hope they allow it in a sandbox system.........prod may be different though

0 Kudos

> Why dabble with VBA or other languages when we have ABAP, our own programming environment, readily available and fully integrated in SAP... ?

For starters, my ABAP skills are way to little. Secondly I am a security consultant and have never been able to get a developer key at the customer site. Getting a programmer's time is just as difficult.....

But I'll have a look at the BAPI and see how I can trigger that from outside. I also have several spreadsheets that use TABLE_ENTRIES_GET_VIA_RFC. Thanks for the pointer.

0 Kudos

I thought (we) ABAP consultants came cheap these days; or maybe we're just a dying breed....

On a serious note, the nice thing about using the BAPIs (beside the fact that they're standard interfaces) is that you can use them to build a solid framework around all of your systems. In installations where you work with 10s or even 100s of separate SAP systems, this is the ideal way to go.

With some effort, you could envision a custom-built user and role assignment system that not only permits you to handle user creation and role assignment across all your systems, but also keep track of future role assignments (including logging of such activities), parameter changes, password resets and so on... eCatts might be OK for smaller installations and ad-hoc work, but sometimes you need something of a different caliber. If you additionally need to sync these efforts across multiple-CUA landscapes, while still administering your user community from a single point...

... I just realize I'm (re)writing an interesting little spec here...

0 Kudos

Hi Jurjen - I was in hurry with many things going on, I got this fixed your solution worked. But it seems like some interesting thoughts going back n forth...But thanks so much everyone for answering it.

Tied to this can we assign specified parameter id's defualtly, i mean to say when a user is created in SU01 specified parameters should be asigned default. I asked my Basis group I did not get any luck, I know on my system time zone and spool settings are defaultly set.

Is there a way I can set this for new user creations, where a user is created and the parameter id is assigned default.

Thanks,

AJ.

0 Kudos

> Tied to this can we assign specified parameter id's defualtly, i mean to say when a user is created in SU01 specified parameters should be asigned default.

That is a request more of us have, oftend discussed before in this forum. The best workaround I've ever come across is to have a 'template' user with all defaults properly set and always start user creation by copying the template user.

0 Kudos

> I thought (we) ABAP consultants came cheap these days; or maybe we're just a dying breed....

I predict that ~ 5 years from now, anything other than ABAP will only have usefullness in reporting.

Even hand-made queries will wither away as the data is increasingly meaningfully only when read from a complex structure and not from some (potentially wrong) table.

In addition to the mass change possibility via the BAPI, there are also some exits around the SU01 area. If I remember correctly there is one for the "SAVE" event via which the BAPI could be called every time a certain user type is created to (re)set the default params.

I heard that there are some new ones in a next release as well, which are possibly more suited to adding such default settings (just a guess), perhaps with little or even no coding required (taking a long shot :-).

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

I searched couple of times in forum, did not find discussions but apologize for posting it again. I had your thought in mind but was trying to see if any other work around.

Thanks All.

Former Member
0 Kudos

AJ,

In SU10, if you do user selection by 'Authorization Data' , then select 'multiple selection' icon on the user field, you can upload a list from clipboard. I have changed 1000+ users this way.

Martyn

Edited by: Martyn Hughes on Dec 11, 2008 6:39 PM