Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kpro Vs ArchiveLink

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Wanted to know the difference between the kpro and archivelink functionality

1) What is the basic difference between kpro & archive link functions?

2) Is archive link used as a medium to store the new DIR originals or is it for the archived old DIR with their originals using CVAR transcation?

3) Would the "Data Carrier" have the following front end type for kpro.... PC ....Default...... c:temp\ &

SE....Server ...c:\ for Archivelink front end type? What is the significance using PC & SE?

4) In case if the archive link can be used to archive the old DIR with their originals using CVAR transcation, can we have both kpro storing the new DIR originals and archivelink storing the archived ones on the same content server under two different repositories?

Thanks,

Paddy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paddy,

Yes you are right about the ideal solution. How ever I will not call the second server a content server, but an archive server.

Sojan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I see you were talking about KPRO...

Just wanna ask (although I am not that sure if this is the right thread for my case, but I see you are masters in this thing) ... I m getting error upon viewing SAP attachment which is - database error for <GET DATA FROM KPRO> and the thing is I get this only when I logged in to my local desktop.

I say log in to my local desktop because we are also using a remote desktop here which is accessed by logging in to a server, and from that remote desktop I do not get this error and can view jpeg attachments.

I am using the same computer machine for both.

Can you advise what seem to be the problem is.

Any settings I need to check as compared with my local desktop and the remote desktop?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sadgirl

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Can you please throw some light on Data Carrier and Content repository? How they are related?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paddy,

Answers to your questions 1,2 & 4

1. Kpro is a framwork for content management services in SAP. When talk of KPRO we are talking about management of transactional data. Archive link refers to the management and storage of redundant data (Data that is not often accessed but is required for legal and other reasons).

2. A new DIR should not ideally use an archivelink to store documents. An archivelink should be used for archiving old DIRs which satisfy the condition as in point 1. ( Technologically there is no barrier but ineffect you are misusing the whole functionality).

3.Yes technically and theoretically one content server could be used for storing transactional as well as archived data. However you could have several repurcussions for this decision. If this machine breaks down you have a problem with both your archived data as well as transactional data. It is a good practice to demarcate the process. Also archiving a DIR should not be considered an isolated process because you will have to consider the data in totallity with the associated object links.

Sojan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sojan for your reply. Points awarded to you

So the best practise is to have the Kpro taking care of the new DIR's and Archive link used for archiving the old DIR's with their originals in two seperate content servers.

Paddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Some of the above comments are not correct so I'll elaborate where. Yes, ArchiveLink can be used for storing documents from DIR's BUT...

a) ArchiveLink is a technology layer which is used for multiple purposes. One of these is document archiving. I.e. the ability to link a document to transactional or master data without the use of a DIR. This is used in environments where the document supports the transactional information, for example, storing an incoming invoice against a purchase order.

b) ArchiveLink is used for data archiving, but this is one small bit of the functionality available from archivelink. Others include document archiving (explained above), outgoing document archiving and print list archiving.

c) Documents stored with Archivelink can also be stored in the SAP content server. The use of ArchiveLink to archive documents stored in DIR's makes no sense unless you want to move the data (data archiving) or documents to optical media.

d) In some cases, a number of people try to store documents in DMS when they should be stored used ArchiveLink directly to the transaction. This includes HR, Invoices, Purchase Orders, Photographs. To put photographs into perspective, in a lot of cases, you can simple store the photo of an equipment directly against the piece of equipment without having to create a document info record.

Transactions for storing document types in archivelink include but are not limited to: OAD5, OAC2, OAC3, OAWD.

Edited by: Athol Hill on Jan 5, 2009 8:48 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Athol Hill,

iam really confused why does SAP give this 2 different features to store documents, i know each one has it own pros and cons,

we have a content server and going by both the ways of DMS and Generic object services the documents gets stored in a single content server,

we are having Trex installed to search documents, can i ask u one thing, can we have a common search to find the docuements stored by both this procedures inside the content server,

can Trex search documents inside Content server irrespective of the storing procedure,

Thanks and regards

Priya S