Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory distribution recommendations

erick-acosta
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are installing Solution Manager 7.0 with Oracle 10.2 and Windows 2003 (all of them 64 bits). The total memory available is 12GB.

What do you recommend for distributing between SAP (abap/java stack) and Oracle?

In SAP note 88416 (Zero memory administration) it says that as a rule of thumb, use SAP/DB = 70/30 and set the parameter PHYS_MEMSIZE to approximately 70% of the installed main memory.

It gives a 8.4/3.6 GB distribution.

Otherwise, SAP note 723909 says that for 64 bits it's recommended 2048MB for java.

So, I'm not sure if the memory for SAP includes both stacks abap and java... I mean, do I have to set parameter PHYS_MEMSIZE to 70% minus the memory dedicated to Java? (8.4 - 2 = 6.4)

How would you distribute 12GB in this scenario?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Erick Acosta

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erick,

>do I have to set parameter PHYS_MEMSIZE to 70% minus the memory dedicated to Java? (8.4 - 2 = 6.4)

Yes, as Note was written before the Java stack.

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erick,

I agree with Mark's understanding your scenario.

Even i was in a dilemma regarding this earlier, but did some search and found

the below input.

In the maximum usage of Java stacks, it will consume the memory of 2GB(which we are assigning to heap_size), or else there won't be any problem.

So I would suggest you to stick with your memory related recommendations.

Please let us know if you find any other suggestion regarding this in future.

Thank you,

Tilak

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

erick-acosta
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you guys,

I'll set the adjustment considering all your recommendations, and hope some day SAP publish a note regarding this issue.

Regards,

Erick Acosta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Note 88416 is written mostly considering R/3 as the SAP application and this note, in my opinion, can be good starting point in R/3 environment, but for optimized memory distribution the above note is not the final reference.

In your case, the application behavior is not that like R/3. So allocating more memory for your database is meaning less. For the installation sake, you can choose either 70:30 or 80:20...(leave atleast 1GB for the OS while calculating).

Your application takes priority here. Just think about what are the Solution Manager scenarios you are going to implement (I hope you might have considered these during the server sizing). Some tips;

-> Solution Manager diagnostics extensive -- 2048MB / Java server node

-> CRM transactions (Service Desk, Change Request Management..etc..) -> more ABAP memory

-> More number of online CRM transations -> more memory for Database

-> CCMS Monitoring -- More ABAP..

/ Manoj