cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

soln. mgr key for downloaded system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have a Solution Manager system that I have just downloaded and installed.

It will not expire for another 3 weeks.

Can I generate a Solution Manager key with it?

TIA

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes.

But better get a license for it - otherwise you won't be able to confirm you download basket after those three weeks.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the reply...

Trying to install the PI 7.0 or 7.1 before the key expires. But, it (PI) has to be integrated to the Solution Manager (set to expire in 3 weeks). Just wanted to be sure that I will still be able to install PI 7.0 or PI 7.1 OK - that no problems would be encountered when generating licenses, keys, etc.

Also, I know that this is off the main question: Would it be better to install PI 7.0 or PI 7.1? From what I could see, PI 7.1 required a kernel of 7.1 (?) and even a SAPGUI of 7.1(?) Everything seemed to require that 7.1 be utilized...

Finally, why is it not OK to install PI and EP on the same box? I would think that if one had different SIDs (that had different system numbers), that all would be OK.

Casey

Edited by: Casey Harris on Dec 9, 2008 8:38 PM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Trying to install the PI 7.0 or 7.1 before the key expires.

You can generate the keys already NOW if you have the data (hostname, SID, systemnumber).

> But, it (PI) has to be integrated to the Solution Manager (set to expire in 3 weeks).

how so? What do you want to "integrate"?

> Also, I know that this is off the main question: Would it be better to install PI 7.0 or PI 7.1? From what I could see, PI 7.1 required a kernel of 7.1 (?) and even a SAPGUI of 7.1(?) Everything seemed to require that 7.1 be utilized...

SAPGUI 7.10 is the standard, 6.40 is out of support already.

> Finally, why is it not OK to install PI and EP on the same box? I would think that if one had different SIDs (that had different system numbers), that all would be OK.

Yes - but from a maintenance point of view it can be very difficult and complicated. PI is ABAP + Java, EP is Java so you will need to manange with memory and resources. If your PI will need CPU power your EP will suffer and vice versa.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

> > Trying to install the PI 7.0 or 7.1 before the key expires.

>

> You can generate the keys already NOW if you have the data (hostname, SID, systemnumber).

>

> > But, it (PI) has to be integrated to the Solution Manager (set to expire in 3 weeks).

>

> how so? What do you want to "integrate"?

My understanding is that the PI will need a key from Soln. Manager in order to work ...

> > Also, I know that this is off the main question: Would it be better to install PI 7.0 or PI 7.1? From what I could see, PI 7.1 required a kernel of 7.1 (?) and even a SAPGUI of 7.1(?) Everything seemed to require that 7.1 be utilized...

>

> SAPGUI 7.10 is the standard, 6.40 is out of support already.

OK, I just checked I do have SAPGUI 7.10 - but - one has to deal with different kernel version 7.1 and also, it seemed as though one needed a different JAVA version as well. The goal was to install everything on the same box. So, it would be interesting to have one version of JAVA for the EP (or ECC 6.0 IDES) and another version for the PI 😐 Of course, it could be done ...

> > Finally, why is it not OK to install PI and EP on the same box? I would think that if one had different SIDs (that had different system numbers), that all would be OK.

>

> Yes - but from a maintenance point of view it can be very difficult and complicated. PI is ABAP + Java, EP is Java so you will need to manange with memory and resources. If your PI will need CPU power your EP will suffer and vice versa.

This is for testing. The thought is to have 8GB for memory. 1TB of disk space.

MCOD DB setup for for EP & PI while ECC 6.0 with an Oracle database of its own.

All on the same box 😐 and a Linux OS.

Es macht Sinn - oder?

TIA.

Edited by: Casey Harris on Dec 9, 2008 9:41 PM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My understanding is that the PI will need a key from Soln. Manager in order to work ...

Yes - at installation time you will be requested to enter the key - once. After that you could shutdown SolMan.

OK, I just checked I do have SAPGUI 7.10 - but - one has to deal with different kernel version 7.1 and also, it seemed as though one needed a different JAVA version as well. The goal was to install everything on the same box. So, it would be interesting to have one version of JAVA for the EP (or ECC 6.0 IDES) and another version for the PI 😐 Of course, it could be done ...

Yes - sure.

This is for testing. The thought is to have 8GB for memory. 1TB of disk space.

8 GB? This is VERY few memory even for ERP alone. Imagine: the Java proceses will allocate heap exclusively and you have to give memory to the database.

All on the same box 😐 and a Linux OS.

Es macht Sinn - oder?

VIEL zu wenig Memory - the machine will be mainly busy with swapping.

Calculate:

PI:

Database 1 GB

Java Server: 2 GB

ABAP: 2 GB

Dispatcher + SDM 500 MB

ERP:

Database 1 GB

ABAP: 2 GB

EP:

Database 1 GB

Java Server 2 GB

Dispatcher + SDM 500 MB

This is already more than 8 GB...

Be aware that with this config the machine will just do I/O, don´t expect to have response times below 5 - 6 seconds.

Markus

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> > This is for testing. The thought is to have 8GB for memory. 1TB of disk space.

>

> 8 GB? This is VERY few memory even for ERP alone. Imagine: the Java proceses will allocate heap exclusively and you have to give memory to the database.

>

> > All on the same box 😐 and a Linux OS.

> >

> > Es macht Sinn - oder?

>

> VIEL zu wenig Memory - the machine will be mainly busy with swapping.

>

> Calculate:

>

> PI:

> Database 1 GB

> Java Server: 2 GB

> ABAP: 2 GB

> Dispatcher + SDM 500 MB

>

> ERP:

> Database 1 GB

> ABAP: 2 GB

>

> EP:

> Database 1 GB

> Java Server 2 GB

> Dispatcher + SDM 500 MB

>

> This is already more than 8 GB...

>

> Be aware that with this config the machine will just do I/O, don´t expect to have response times below 5 - 6 seconds.

>

>

> Markus

>

>

>

> Markus

Vielen dank fur Ihre Hilfe ..

Leider, verstehe ich was Sie geschrieben haben. 😐

There is a need to re-evaluate the location of the software - unless there is some way to get 2 8GB sticks of memory on an Intel 64-bit box ...

Zu viele spass!

Will see what happens ..

Danke nochmals,

Casey

PS: Entschuldigung ..

Leider, habe ich keine Geld (Punkten) um Sie zu bezahlen.

Edited by: Casey Harris on Dec 9, 2008 11:46 PM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Opening to give pts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you