cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel patch - needed files?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

in order to fulfill the prerequisites for the coming maintenance certificates I want to update my kernel to the latest patchlevel.

It's a NW 7.0 HP-UX 64 bit unicode system with a current kernel patchlevel of 138.

My question is whether I really do not need anything else than the two archives SAPEXExxx.SAR and SAPEXEDBxxxx.SAR.

In note #19466 it is explained that any other patches should be used only in case of existing problems.

On the other side the note mentions that a archive dw.SAR should be used too.

I have heard from a consultant to download lots of files in addition, e.g. disp+work, enserver, r3trans, sapcpe, saphttp, sapstart, ..... and also some files for the JAVA instance of my system, e.g. sap_ess, sap_jeecor, sap_jtechf.

Please let me know which files are definitely needed for my ABAP and JAVA double stack installation.

Many thanks for your reply in advance!

Günter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Günter,

You are right; that is what a kernel upgrade does. However with JSPM no more manual steps are needed. Uncaring and all will be taken care by the tool.

Just check the below video by Storm...it explains everything.

You just need to patch /usr/sap//SYS/exe/run.

Just do not forget to take a backup first..:)

Regards,

Hemanth

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Günter,

Also makes sense to upgrade your IGS (IGSexe_xx.SAR )files on the go along with the 2 kernel level files (SAPEXExxx.SAR and SAPEXEDBxxxx.SAR).

Try executing the below commands once it is done too:

R3trans -d and disp+work -v

Try checking SM21, ST22, SM12, SM51 (release notes) etc. after this.

SAP recommends all the 3 servers (dev, test, prod.) to be on the same level; but i don't think there will be any issues if you go ahead with the transports too.

Also try to update the kerenel using JSPM as it is a double stack. JSPM takes care of even the permission change issues (of files like SAPOSCOL)

Kind Regards,

Hemanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Hemanth,

I still do not fully understand the JSPM issue because I always thought that patching a kernel simply means to replace the files contained in the .SAR archives in the corresponding directory.

What would JSPM do with these kind of archives?

Do you use the option "Single Support Packages" in the first step of JSPM?

Is the kernel of my double stack system fully patched after I have replaced the files in /usr/sap//SYS/exe/run or is there something missing for the JAVA part of my system?

Best regards

Günter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks for your helpful answer!

Just one final question regarding our standard three systems landscape:

Is it recommended to update the kernel on the test system at first and run any functional tests or will the business functions be not affected by the kernel update?

Is it enough to test the basic admin functions, e.g. database functions db12, sysadmin functions like se38, se09, stms, sm37?

May I perform transports from my test system with the new kernel to my prod. system with the old kernel or do you recommend to update the kernel immediately on all the systems?

Many thanks again for your helpful answers!

Günter

former_member1283182
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi friend,

Just uncar SAPEXExxx.SAR and SAPEXEDBxxxx.SAR, files into a folder. There would be around 130 to 140 files +, which would be extracted... Now you can replace your old kernal folder, with this new folder files in the O/S level. For your information - " you can find all the files that you have mentioned in your query once automatically after you have uncared the 2 files".

Regards,

Satish.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have double stack try to read this blogs :

You can find good information about JSPM for example ...

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just download the two SAR file once you uncar it contalins all the sapcpe, r3trans and all other files.

So downloading the two SAPEXExxx.SAR and SAPEXEDBxxxx.SAR.

will serve the purpose.

Regards,

Vamshi.