cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogeneous system copy of a MSSQL 2000 ABAP+JAVA 6.40 system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys!

I'm trying to perform a homogeneous systemcopy of a CRM 4.0 ABAP+JAVA installation based on Web AS 6.40.

I have downloaded the CRM 4.0 SR1 CD's from service.sap.com and using them, unfortunately the media from the installation of the sources system are corrupt.

The source system is based on SQL Server 2000 and is hosted on a 32-bit Windows server and the target system is a 64-bit SQL Server 2005. The database is created and restoring a backup file from the source system.

I had an issue with the servername, SIDSAPMISC1TEST, that was too long, but solved it by using the solution provided in note 962955 ad 360515.

Procedure

Install a Central Instance by executing the sapinst.exe and choosing mySAP CRM 4.0 SR1 u2013 ABAP System u2013 MS SQL Server u2013 Non-Unicode u2013 Central Instance Installation

Then I restore the database backup and the SID and SYS ID used by the source system is also used by the target system.

When I start the SAP system disp+work stops directly and when right-clicking on it, there is no developer trace, the file does not exist.

The log files do not provide any good info about why the system doesn't start.

I've tried pretty much everything to solve issue, I've done the following

- upgraded the kernel

- tried to install a clean Database Instance, but it fails with the following error

ERROR 2008-12-09 13:38:26

- MOS-01012 PROBLEM: 'D:\usr\sap\<SID>\SYS\exe\run/startsap name=CRD nr=61 SAPDIAHOST=pbssapm1tst' returned with '-1' which is not a defined as a success code.

- installing IGS

- installing J2EE add-ons

- tried to first install the CI, restore the database and then import the J2EE files exported from the source system, but it fails due to that the system is not able to start and there is no working RFC.

- Running MSSQL Tools downloaded from SAP

Curent environment

The system is split up so the Central Instance and the Database Instance is installed on two different servers. The new enviroment is a enviroment with CI and DI on the same server.

I have no clue to why the system don't start?

I can not find anything in the logs and I'm lost.....

I am helpful for every helpful hint and suggestion!

regards

rollo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

It might have been an issue with the server, because when I did the migration on the D server, it worked just fine!

I'm closing my thread since it might not be an SAP error.

rollo

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did a second testrun and the installation fails in the same task and the things that solved the issue before, does not solve it now...

I've tried the folowing things to solve the issue

- upgrade dblib

- upgrade disp+work

- upgrade kernel

- Note 969699 - 6.20/6.40 Patch Collection Inst.: MS SQL Server

Thanks and regards

rollo

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I did a second testrun and the installation fails in the same task and the things that solved the issue before, does not solve it now...

If you tell us what exactly is not working we could probably help...

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

What's been done

First I installed a Central Instance.

Then during the installation of the database it fails in task MS SQL SERVER Post Load Actions.

During this task it seems that it tries to start up the system, but when it does so, disp+work "crashes" before it starts but the other services starts.

I found a note regarding this, note 969699 that solved it in the first installation, but it

doesn't solve it in the second run.

What fixed the first installation was changing strdbms.bat so it only has 2 lines

ntscmgr start mssservicename -m computername

ntscmgr start agentservicename -m computername

That did not solve in the second run so I also tried to upgrade the kernel and the dipsatcher.

I've found notes and threads with similiar issue and they have pointed at issues with the database type, but I have the dbms/type parameter in the profile and I have also set the windows variable.

There is nothing in the logs on why it stops/crashes and the dispatcher create no log files.

rollo

//UPDATE 2008-12-14

If I use an "old" kernel, one that have worked before, it doesn't help, the system don't start and the migration don't completes successfully.

If I attach the old databasethe one that worked before the second migration, I detached it before the second run, the sytem don't start either.

//UPDATE 2008-12-15

Went through the logs and found some entries

startCRD.log

running D:\usr\sap\CRD\SYS\exe\run/sapstart.exe name=CRD nr=61 SAPDIAHOST=SIDSAPM1TST -wait

SAP System SIDSAPM1TST_CRD_61 is already running, but at least one process doesn't run correctly:

msg_server.exe, MessageServer, Running, 12.12.2008 14:37:34, 0 00 09 48

disp+work.exe, Dispatcher, Stopped, 12.12.2008 14:37:34, 0 00 00 01

igswd.exe, IGS Watchdog, Running, 12.12.2008 14:37:34, 0 00 09 48

D:\usr\sap\CRD\SYS\exe\run/sapstart.exe=>sapparam(1c): No Profile used.

stderr4

Fri Dec 12 14:37:35 2008

• ERROR => D:\usr\sap\CRD\SYS\exe\run\disp+work.exe stopped: DpCheckProfile [dpxxdisp.c 909]

stderr2

D:\usr\sap\CRD\DVEBMGS61\work>ntscmgr start MSSQLSERVER -m sidsapmisc1test

failure: StartService, NT ErrorMessage: An instance of the service is already running.

StartService SUCCESS

D:\usr\sap\CRD\DVEBMGS61\work>ntscmgr start SQLSERVERAGENT -m sidsapmisc1test

failure: StartService, NT ErrorMessage: An instance of the service is already running.

StartService SUCCESS

There is SAP Content server system installed on the same server and that system works. That system runs MaxBD and it works.

Edited by: rollo on Dec 15, 2008 8:27 AM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Procedure

> Install a Central Instance by executing the sapinst.exe and choosing mySAP CRM 4.0 SR1 u2013 ABAP System u2013 MS SQL Server u2013 Non-Unicode u2013 Central Instance Installation

Use the guide at http://service.sap.com/systemcopy

Means:

- export the source system (R3load)

- install the target system using the Lifecycle - System copy-point in sapinst

There is no other way of doing systemcopies than using sapinst if you have a dual stack instance.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Thanks for your quick reply!

If I follow the guide "Homogeneous and Heterogeneous System Copy for SAP Systems Based on SAP

Web Application Server 6.40" it says that I first should install a Central Instance and then import the database and run the SAP Tools for SQL Server.

Is that incorrect?

What I want to do is a testupgrade of our CRM system and to do this I want to copy one of our systems and then do the test upgrade.

Perhaps I am using the wrong "terminology" and it is not a system copy I want to do, but a database copy!?!

regards

rollo

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What you describe is correct - for ABAP only installations.

You need to to follow the section for dual stack installations.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thans for your very helpful answers Markus!

I can not find a guide for a dual stack system based Web AS 6.40

So I should first do a ABAP Database Content Export, for the ABAP part, and then a Migration - Database export, for the J2EE instance?

I'm moving from 32-bit SQL Server 2000 to 64-bit SQL Server 2005, I've found SAP notes and SDN threads that discribes how this is done with a database restore, but how is the database "converted" to 64-bit and SQL Server 2005, when a system copy is done?

Thanks!

rollo

rolfc_weber
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rollo,

If you use the R3unload/R3Load procedure you create a database/platform independent export of you database.

This export you are then using while installing the new system on the new platform/database as your database export files (not using the SAP CD/DVD with the database export).

So you will convert to 64Bit / SQL2005 on the fly while installing the system....

Regards

Rolf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Problem solved and it was not related to the system copy process, but the kernel.

Thanks for your help Markus and Rolf!

rollo