Did you mean: 

Handling unit management - reporting - basic questions

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I'd like to get clear answers for these questions, please help if you can...:

1. Packaging material - packed and free qty

We put the goods onto pallets and we would like to solve this trough HU. Is there any report that shows how many of the paletts can be used for packing and how many of them are already packed in HU?

(e.g. we have 100 pallets and on 20 pcs there are goods and 80 pcs can be used for putting goods onto them).

(I tried HUMO but it is not for this purpose)

2. FG - packed qty and not packed qty

If I pack FG and I give the destination SLoc in HU02 the goods will be posted to the partner SLoc. Based on this (SLoc) I can see how many of the goods are packed and not packed into HU.

The problem is that I can pack goods w/o sending them to the partner SLoc.

Why?

What is the difference between HU in normal and in the HUM-SLoc?

How can I report the number of goods that are packed (that are in HU) and that are not packed?

Please understand that these should be able to be reported very easily not using several separate reports.

Thanks in advance,

Csaba

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Dec 9, 2008 11:57 AM

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Dec 9, 2008 11:59 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

"What is the difference between HU in normal and in the HUM-SLoc?"

Handling unit managed storage location:

- only packed material can be stored there; all stock must be packed

- u2018HU requirementu2019 indicator has to be set for the storage location in customizing

- a (non handling unit managed) partner storage location has to be assigned from the same plant.

When Hus are unpacked, not-packed stocks are posted to the partner storage location.

Handling Unit Management enables to control inventory management using packed stocks at storage location level.

The guarantee that the total of all HU stocks is the same as the stock in the storage location, is only valid for handling unit managed storage locations.

If you have HUs on storage locations that are not HU managed, you never know if the stock in the HU physically exists and if the stock information is still valid. There is no guarantee that the data is correct.

You can easy test this: just go to transaction hu02 -> create an HU at a not handling unit managed storage location whit a quantity that is more than the stock of that storage location... the system will let you save this... you will only get problems afterwards when you want to use this HU

Then test the same with a handling unit managed storage location...

Regards,

Ely

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ely,

Thanks for your reply.

So, as I understand, in non HU managed SLoc there's nothing that would ensure consistency between created HUs and availabale stock of the goods.

The critical question / problem is:

Using HU managed SLoc I can clearly see the stock level of goods that are packed / and not packed, consitency works fine. Sorrowfully this is not true for the material I pack the goods into (I mean the packaging material).

The handling unit itself is the composite of the product and the packaging material - the product is posted into the HU managed SLoc when I create the HU, but nothing happens to the packaging material. I would expect that the same logic should be applied for both components (they should be posted hand in hand as per my idea).

Business requirement:

- know the number of pallets and products

- know the number of packed products and number of pallets involved in HUs

- know on which sort of pallet the products are (using HU management with SU management this could be solved trough number range I guess)

Based on my poor knowledge I can see the "number of pallets involved in HUs" as gap. It may easily happen of course, that I do not know all funcionalities of HUM or maybe I'm holding the wrong end of the stick and this requirement should be fulfilled not by HUM.

Regards,

Csaba

vijay_singh21
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am reopening this old thread. Does anyone has a solution for the issue above?

How do I know how much packaging material(such as pallets) I have? When I move a HU from one storage location to another, the stock of the packaging material remains does not change. This does not seem logical.

Regards,

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Csaba/Vijay,

You can maintain the following settings if you want stock accounting for Packaging Material

1) Check "Gen. Pack. Material Item" for your Delivery type in 0VLK

2) Maintain suitable indicator "Plant determination" for your packing material type config settings based on your requirement of how to take plant in the delivery item for packing materials. (You can try manually also)

Now the system will craete another line in delivery for packing material. Also there will be stock addition and subtraction of pack. matl.

Nagesh

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nagesh,

Thanks for the answer. But here the question is not about how to manage HU related packaging materials in outbound deliveries.

The question is about HUs stored in Sloc / WH. Please see previous messages.

(I guess there's no standard soltion for this problem in SAP.)

Thanks,

Csaba

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Csaba,

I understand the requirement is to be able to see the stock of Pack. matl. in stock overview after GR of HU and vice-versa

(stock should reduce from storage location after GI of HU) from the following quote.

the product is posted into the HU managed SLoc when I create the HU, but nothing happens to the 
packaging material. I would expect that the same logic should be applied for both components

Here, I am not talking only about how to manage HU related packaging materials in outbound deliveries.

If you can generate a line in IBD, automatically you can realiza the stock of Pack. Matl in your storage location.

At the time of PGR, 101 is done for inside matl (Line item 1) & 501 is done for Pack. matl (Line item 2 of Inbound Del).

I hope your requirement is fulfilled by this, because you cannot bring the stock in without a delivery.

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nagesh,

Thanks for your feedback.

The question is not how to manage the stock of packaging material related to inbound and outbound process - I know how to do this.

The question is:

When you create the HUs (no inbound delivery, no outbound delivery) how will you make difference between packaging materials that are part of HU and that are not part of HU.

E.g.

packaging material: 10 pcs in normal SLoc

product: 20 pcs in normal SLoc

>>> packaging: 1 HU = 2 product + 1 packaging material >>>

product: 8 pcs in normal SLoc, 2 pcs in HU managed SLoc

When I say:

...the product is posted into the HU managed SLoc when I create the HU...

...I'm not speaking about external GR / external GI but I'm speaking packaging (e.g. HU02).

Regards,

Csaba

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nagesh,

Thanks for your feedback.

The question is not how to manage the stock of packaging material related to inbound and outbound process - I know how to do this.

The question is:

When you create the HUs (no inbound delivery, no outbound delivery) how will you make difference between packaging materials that are part of HU and that are not part of HU.

E.g.

product: 20 pcs in normal SLoc

--> packaging: 1 HU = 2 product + 1 packaging material -->

product: 8 pcs in normal SLoc, 2 pcs in HU managed SLoc

When I say:

...the product is posted into the HU managed SLoc when I create the HU...

...I'm not speaking about external GR / external GI but I'm speaking packaging (e.g. HU02).

Regards,

Csaba