cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Startsap & stopsap on Linux startup & shutdown

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hy everyone!

I have a simple question: does anyone use startsap/stopsap scripts on Linux startup/shutdown run levels? I mean, when Linux starts up (init 5 run level) it must start SAP using startsap and stopsap on init 0 as well.

It seems to be no problem at all to do that but once that is not set up by default on Linux systems (not in mine for sure) I have decided to ask for a second opinion.

Thanx in advance for any help.

Paulo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you do not necessarily want SAP to automatically restart after an OS reboot. I would NOT go there.

But, you may want to start SAP after a scheduled reboot. This is done frequently in the Windows world when a weekly reboot is a must.

if this interests you, you can use Unix tools AT or CRONTAB.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric,

my goal is a little bit different that that: I'm looking for a way to quick shutdown or startup SAP system with the mininum possible effort during an emergency situation.

Let me explain the situation: we are constantly affected by power down issues, especially in summer time. When such situations occur, we have to quickly shut down as many servers as possible before the power turns completely off (by nobreak).

We are currently working on power infrastructure to avoid those "downs" issues, but until we have fully reached that, we need to get some safe systems shutdowns (at least for production servers).

So I was considering to include at least the stopsap script in init 0 run level on Linux.

What do you think about that?

Thanx for your help until now. It's good to have someone to discuss something like that and exchange experiences/ideas.

Paulo

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it might be acceptable to shutdown SAP and Oracle when a Unix shutdown is triggered.

but I would surely not do this after a reboot.

you will need to play around with /etc/rc* script. name the script K00sapstop and K01stopora

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, Eric.

I'll be taking all your tips into account.

In fact the more I work with SAP, the more I need to learn about it.

Thanks once again for your help.

Paulo