cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regard on installing SMD.

former_member207465
Participant
0 Kudos

I need some technical information regarding on install SMD (Solution Manager Diagnostics) on

my ABAP stack solution manager 4.0 system. I have setup the solution manager server since version 3.2 and have upgraded to solution manager 4.0 with SP15 early this year. This server

is setup as ABAP stack since beginning, currently I have setup 3 portal servers Dev, QA & Production and they are on Java platform, which connects to my ECC 6.0 backup end system (ABAP stack system). I would like to setup EWA alerts on these 3 portal systems and would like to

install SMD on the solution manager, unfortunately SMD requires Java Stack on my solution manager system ( I really don't want to scratch and re-install solution manager with duet stacks at the moment). Please advice if there is a solution to resolve this issue without rebuild my solution manager server.

Best regards,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You might want to consider a unicode migration. SAP has announced that non-unicode solution manager will be supported at SPS 13. You are already 15. You're sunk!

Don't install java-addon from 3.2. You want java add-on for SM 4.0/7.0 SR whatever (3 would be best) and then upgrade SMD to SPS 15 (don't even TRY to use SMD till you're at 15. This was available at one time. I didn't do a double stack upgrade of SM 3.2 to 4.0.

Ken Chamberlain

University of Toronto

PS expect to need new hardware. SMD at SPS 15 adds a LOT of load to your system.

Ken Chamberlain

University of Toronto

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We also upgraded our SolMan 3.2 to 4.0 and if you read the guide the correct way would have been to install a 6.40 Java instance into the SolMan 3.2 and then upgrade both at the same time.

"Older" SolMan installation CDs have a Java-Addin which you could use to install the Java part, however, many things won´t be preconfigured and you´ll have to do this manually (whatever "this" is). You will also need to bring up the Java stack to the same support package level as the ABAP part.

I´d open an OSS call and ask for those CDs if you don´t have them. I think they were on the SR1 release but I´m not sure.

Markus