cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update SAPOSCOL on OS400.?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey all,

I have a question in regards to updating the SAPOSCOL.

We just did a kernel upgrade and I thought it would be updated with that, but it looks like it wasn't. So how do I go about getting this done? I found note 19227 but that is for UNIX and Windows.

Also, I think I need some clarification on this file. Even though we have multiple systems on one box just one SAPOSCOL runs? So when we start and stop systems for whatever reason, we should start up the most updated system first as it contains the most current file or doesn't it matter?

Thanks for your knowledge and time.

Ryan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for verifying my thoughts. All the systems are 6.20 and above.

I did do a kernel stack and the saposcol was part of it but it looks as though it still is not up to date, as reported by the Early Watch Alerts and from downloads from SAP.

Would you happen to know how to individually update this component?

Thanks again for the response.

Ryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ryan,

In a nutshell, you would download the new SAPOSCOL.SAR file that's right for your kernel (Ascii or Unicode) and put it onto a directory on the server eg /patches.

Then as <SID>OFR shutdown SAP, end SAPOSCOL, check for locks on the kernel library, backup the library, run APYR3FIX then APYSAP.

Check out the OSS note 19466 - it describes very well, all the possible permuations of the above. Note the exact process changes between 4.x > 6.x > 7.x Basis releases just to keep us on our toes.

regards

Michael

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan

When you refer to the kernel upgrade, do you mean the entire Kernel stack upgrade or you did patch the kernel individually using the patch files "dw", "enserver", "tp", "R3trans", etc....???

If you did the entire kernel stack, then you will get the latest version of SAPOSCOL. If you patched indicidual components, then of course SAPOSCOl will not be there in the upgraded kernel...

And yes, you are rigth...only one SAPOSCOL runs on a system...if all your system are running 6.20 and above releases. But IF u are running 4.6 and lower and 6.20 and above systems on the same lpar, you will probably see two saposcol, as the earler saposcols used the SLS memory segment and the later ones use the teraspace segment....

Whe you are starting the SAP systems and if your saposcol's are not at the same level for all the systems, then I would suggest to start the system with the latest saposcol first....

Hope that helps...

Thanks

Abhi