cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard WBS Elements v Operative WBS elements as templates

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am considering the use of Standard WBS elements however one of the limitations that I have identified is that it is not possible to enter the any default settlement parameters into the WBS elements.

As our Work Breakdown structures are a combination of both operative as well as capital WBS elements (for accounting purposes) it is not possible to enter the default Settlement Profile in the project profile. ie: Mulitple settlement profiles are used across the WBS elements for a single project profile, depending on the required accounting treatment.

Ensuring that users enter the correct settlement paramters for each WBS element cannot be gaurenteed and it does not appear possible to use sustitutions to populate these parameters. Month end settlement is often problematic and the correct accounting treatment is essential so I am looking for alternatives.

One alternative that comes to mind is to set aside a range of operative WBS elements for use as templates. This would then ensure that all required fields in the operative structures are pre - populated including the settlement parameters.

Has anyone used operative structures in this way and if so are there any potential issues?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If I understood your requirement..I would like to highlight few things.

1. Yes you can create a operative project with specific coding mask and then use for copy and create new projects with different identity... using "replace" function in copy project.

2. But this will not solve your purpose as copied projects will not have the settlement profile "as it is" in the std. operative WBS elements. Settlement profile gets defaulted from project profile... hence you will have to mainatin it manually again in the copied projects.

3. I would propose to use authorisation control instead to avoid changes in settlement profile once maintained.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hermant,

Thanks for your input.

I think you understood my issue but for one key point:

"As our Work Breakdown structures are a combination of both operative as well as capital WBS elements (for accounting purposes) it is not possible to enter the default Settlement Profile in the project profile. ie: Mulitple settlement profiles are used across the WBS elements for a single project profile, depending on the required accounting treatment."

Key Point:

The project profile does not include a default settlement profile, hence the settlement parameters are inherited from the operative structure "template".

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Ian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

That is what I mentioned in my earlier post... although you maintain different settlement parametes in project which is to be copied.. it won't be inherited in new project. You will have to maintain it manually...

Hope I am clear now.

Regards

nitin_patoliya
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have to control business trnazation authorization for maining settlement parameter. you have to assing that authorization credentials to your Core /Power user who know exactly what settlement parameter to maintain for different WBS element. As Hemant has pointed out.

With copying willl not suffice your requirement.

Regards

Nitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hermant,

Thanks for your ongoing input. I am still not sure my original message was clear.

The key point is that I am talking about using a range of operative structures as templates. "lets just say the first 200 operative structures will be designated as templates." These operative structures to be used as templates, contain different settlement parameters for each WBS element.

In your first post you mentioned.

"2. But this will not solve your purpose as copied projects will not have the settlement profile "as it is" in the std. operative WBS elements. Settlement profile gets defaulted from project profile... hence you will have to mainatin it manually again in the copied projects."

and in your second post.

"That is what I mentioned in my earlier post... although you maintain different settlement parametes in project which is to be copied.. it won't be inherited in new project. You will have to maintain it manually..."

This is not the case, you actually do not need to maintain these settlement parameters manually when you copy an operative structure. (used as a template) This is exactly why I am considering using operative structures and NOT standard structures as templates. I agree, when using standard structures no settlement paramaters are inherited.

As I mentioned in my first post the Project Profile will not contain a settlement profile. Hence when the operative structure with pre populated settlement parameters is used as a "template" and copied to create a new operative structure all settlement parameters are copied / inherited to the new operative structure. This is the result based on my prototype. Try this, copy an operative structure that has pre populated settlement parameters and you will see that all these settlement parameters are copied.....at least in my system that is the way it works.

I hope this helps clear up any misunderstanding.

Regards

Ian

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

May be you can use a Z transaction ,which based on the project profile or the Standard WBS template would assign particular kind of settlement parameters to the operative Structure WBS elems after they are created.

This way , lot of issues that can happen with user intervention can be avoided !

Also, authorisation wise, no hassles if this transaction happens in background after the Project Structure gets created !

Hope this helps !

BR,

M.Amarendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amerendra,

Thanks for your input. (points awarded).

This is definately an option that I will look into. Perhaps I could use a pre populated user field to drive the settlement parameters.

eg: If PRPS-USR00 = CAPEX then COBRA-APROF = CAP001

and COBRA-ABSCH = CP.

As I mentioned in my first post I was hoping to use substitutions but this is not an option.

Thanks again I will look into developing an exit that runs when the project is saved.

Ian