cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on best approach to create sales orders in R3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We have a scenario wherein XI should read data for sales orders from a SQL server DB and then map this information onto an IDOC and post to R3. Now, there is some information needed to fill in some segments of the idoc - that has to be looked up from a lookup table in R3 itself.

One of the ways to do this is use BPM and do a synchronous lookup to R3 ( or a rfc lookup directly from the mapping in XI ) , build the IDOC and then use idoc adapter from XI to post to R3.

Another approach - we were thinking of is use an ABAP proxy - and within the proxy - do the lookup- build the idoc segments and then use MASTER_IDOC_DISTRIBUTE function module to create the idoc ? This way, we will avoid the rfc lookups to R3 from XI.

( Use of idoc inbound user exit to do the lookup is not feasible in our environment )

Any thoughts on whether the second approach can be used and pros and cons on the two approaches ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nisarkhan_n
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you can use the normal way read the data from DB and perform an RFC lookup to the R/3 in order to get the required value to map to IDOC ( if the information is available trough the RFC) in case of not using the ABAP proxy.

But ABAP Proxy would be good idea overall.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I would have chosen ABAP proxy approach reason is it is allowing me only one touch point to make changes. With this performance is better. Steps are less as in case of BPM performance is less compared to proxy and i have to do additional effort to do RFC lookup to read the table from R/3.

Even looking at future support perspective its easy to maintain the proxy interface and enhancements can also be addressed in easily.

Thanks

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your reasons to go with the proxy sounds convincing. Thanks - points awarded.