Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Id Format

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Our user id format (both network and SAP) is first letter of the first name and the first 7 letters of the last name (there are exceptions when there is a collision). We are considering if we move away this format to reduce collisions. Unfortunately SAP has a limit of 12 characters. I would like to hear your user id format. Is it employee number? Is it random set of characters generated by a system? etc.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,

Luke

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hi,

>

> Our user id format (both network and SAP) is first letter of the first name and the first 7 letters of the last name (there are exceptions when there is a collision). We are considering if we move away this format to reduce collisions. Unfortunately SAP has a limit of 12 characters. I would like to hear your user id format. Is it employee number? Is it random set of characters generated by a system? etc.

>

> Thank you in advance for your assistance.

>

> Best regards,

>

>

>

> Luke

Our format is first 5 characters of last name, first character of first name, first character of middle name and number character from 1-100 for collisions.

John M. Johnston = JOHNSJ

Jane M. Johnson = JOHNSJ1

My advice, if you like to keep your format, make it first character of first name, first 7 characters of last name, and leave the remaining characters for numerical value just in case of collisions (1-999).

Hope this helps.

Edited by: John Navarro on Dec 2, 2008 9:52 PM

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hi,

>

> Our user id format (both network and SAP) is first letter of the first name and the first 7 letters of the last name (there are exceptions when there is a collision). We are considering if we move away this format to reduce collisions. Unfortunately SAP has a limit of 12 characters. I would like to hear your user id format. Is it employee number? Is it random set of characters generated by a system? etc.

>

> Thank you in advance for your assistance.

>

> Best regards,

>

>

>

> Luke

Our format is first 5 characters of last name, first character of first name, first character of middle name and number character from 1-100 for collisions.

John M. Johnston = JOHNSJ

Jane M. Johnson = JOHNSJ1

My advice, if you like to keep your format, make it first character of first name, first 7 characters of last name, and leave the remaining characters for numerical value just in case of collisions (1-999).

Hope this helps.

Edited by: John Navarro on Dec 2, 2008 9:52 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Luke,

you can also try this as well.

first 5 letters from last name , next 2 letters from first name and last letter from 1-9 if all the numbers from 1-9 completed then use alphabets A-Z.

John M. Johnston = JOHNSJO1

Jane M. Johnson = JOHNSJA1

Janie Johnson = JOHNSJA2

Hope this helps,

Thanks A Lot,

Regards,

Rakesh.T