cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPDB Migration for Content server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

we have a SAP content server 6.3 running on 32 bit windows on SAPDB 7.3 .

We are planning to move this to a Unix box ( AIX or Solaris .. not decided yet). Is there a comprehensive guide available about the procedure we need to follow ?

1. Do we need to upgrade the source DB before migration ?

2. As per MaxDB admin guide database copy from IA32 to unix does not work and as per note 962019 we need to use loadercli. Any tips on loadercli use would be welcome

3. Any relevant information from past experience of similar exercise

4. Does SAP support this migration if we do not buy the MaxDB migration service from SAP ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

0 Kudos

Hello Lars,

I am also facing some issue in understanding above points. We are also migrating from MaxDb 7.3 to 7.9 from Windows 32 bit to Linux 64 bit. In this heterogeneous migration we dont want to touch source system for any upgrade whereas as per sap note we can used loadercli tool  with min version 7.6.05 build 15 for export and import. So just want to clear do I need to use of same version tool for windows and linux maxDB instalation CD's or can I used higher version loadercli tool for my migration.

Regards

Dnyanesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Lars:

I successfully did the migration test yesterday.

I first installed MAXDB 7.6.03 with the installation CD on SAP SWDC, then updated the patch level to 7.6.05 build 15. After that did the export/import. No error happened during the whole process.

Thanks again for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Lars:

I successfully did the migration test yesterday.

I first installed MAXDB 7.6.03 with the installation CD on SAP SWDC, then updated the patch level to 7.6.05 build 15. After that did the export/import. No error happened during the whole process.

Thanks again for your help.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Donglin,

nice to hear you made it - don't forget to close the thread then.

regards

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Lars:

Another question on this.

Note"962019" mentions that:

"Note that the target system must be installed at least with 7.6.05 build 11. An upgrade to this version does not help. Stop the target system (shutdown) and delete the database instance (drop database). SAPinst provides the option 'uninstall'. Here, you are led through the uninstalling process. The repeat the software installation with 7.6.05 build 11 or higher."

I can only find MAXDB 7.6.03 installation CD on SAP SWDC, no 7.6.05 build 11 or higher, can I install 7.6.03 first, then update patch to 7.6.05 or higher?

Thanks

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there,

> Note"962019" mentions that:

>

> "Note that the target system must be installed at least with 7.6.05 build 11. An upgrade to this version does not help. Stop the target system (shutdown) and delete the database instance (drop database). SAPinst provides the option 'uninstall'. Here, you are led through the uninstalling process. The repeat the software installation with 7.6.05 build 11 or higher."

Yep, this is necessary to make the handling of source databases possible, that still have the _UNICODE parameter set to FALSE.

> I can only find MAXDB 7.6.03 installation CD on SAP SWDC, no 7.6.05 build 11 or higher, can I install 7.6.03 first, then update patch to 7.6.05 or higher?

Actually you don't need the installation CD.

The "patch" package contains everything you need to perform a full installation.

MaxDB patches are not really patches but always full installations.

Therefore you can either use the SDBSETUP or SDBINST tool (make sure to get the path-settings for <indep_data>/<indep_programs>/<dependend_programs> right then!) or you replace the installation package on the 7.6.03 CD you have with the 7.6.05 installation package from the patch download page in the service marketplace [http://service.sap.com/swcenter-3pmain].

Ok, hope that answers your questions.

Make sure to test the procedure before actually trying to perform the migration.

Very often questions and problems come up during the first time the process is done - and if that happens to be your productive migration weekend, well, cross-fingers that you get a MaxDB expert supporter on weekend duty then ...

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Lars:

Thank you very very much. It confused me for a long time.

We will have the migration next month, any issues, I will let you know.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Lars Breddemann, TEAM Basis:

We are planning to do the same content server migration. SAPDB7.3 to MaxDB7.6, from Windows2000 IA32 to AIX 64bit. I checked note 962019, but get confused on one point,

Note 962019 said "You must use the same binary-compatible loader for the entire export an import", it means in my case I have to use the AIX 64bit "loadercli" tool to export the SAPDB on my Windows IA32 system, Can the AIX 64bit version "loadercli" tool run on Windows IA32 system? How can I install the AIX64 bit loadercli on the my Windows 2000 system? I checked note 649814 on how to install the SAPDB/MAXDB client software including loadercli, but they're differect patch package for windows and AIX. I don't know how to install the AIX loader on the Windows platform.

TEAM Basis: Did your migration finish successfully? Please give some advice.

Thank you very much.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Donglin,

it seems you misunderstood the note.

Basically it says: "Use the same loadercli-tool both for export and import".

So, in your case, you may use the AIX-64Bit loadercli to export the data.

Of course, you run this AIX-64Bit loadercli on your AIX machine and not on the Windows server.

And yes, the 64-Bit loader can communicate with a 32-Bit SAP DB instance. No problem with that.

Therefore: run the export from your AIX (target) machine via network and run the import then locally.

regards,

Lars

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi "Basis Team",

all major recommandation can be found in note [962019|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/962019].

In general it's highly recommended to install the latest 7.3 patch before you perform the data export.

Depending on the byte-order of the target system you can use backup/restore as well.

Do you already know the Hardware-Platform?

The migration as described in the note is fully supported and rather simple - I wouldn't bother to buy any service for this.

As always with dba actions that you haven't done before: try it out on a test system before the actual production system copy.

Best regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars

thanks for your reply.

We'll be migrating from Windows 2000 to Solaris , As per available documents, DB copy/restore would not work.

And of course we'll try it out on a test system first .

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Be aware that it solely depends on the BYTE ORDER of the processor plattforms whether a copy via backup/restore is possible.

If you e.g. switch from Win2008/x64_64 to Solaris/x64_64 you can use backup/restore.

best regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Requirement :Content server upgrade

Source system

SAP CONTENT SERVER 6.30 SAP DB 7.3 OLTP WINDOWS SERVER 2000/IA32 32BIT

Target system

SAP CONTENT SERVER 6.40 SAP DB 7.3 OLTP WINDOWS SERVER 2003/IA32 32BIT

I have gone through the notes:

Note 719971 - SAP Content Server release strategy

Note 514500 - Importing Support Packages for the SAP Content Server

Note 649814 - Updating MaxDB/liveCache client software

I have gone thorough PAM and my target requirement is available.

I need the link of sap master upgrade document or required document to do this task.

Also your valuable suggestion about how to proceed is needed.

Thanks

Anit

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Requirement :Content server upgrade

>

> Source system

>

> SAP CONTENT SERVER 6.30 SAP DB 7.3 OLTP WINDOWS SERVER 2000/IA32 32BIT

>

> Target system

>

> SAP CONTENT SERVER 6.40 SAP DB 7.3 OLTP WINDOWS SERVER 2003/IA32 32BIT

>

I don't see any upgrade here.

If this is really what you want to to, then simply:

1. take a backup (for migration) on the source system

2. recover the backup on the target system

3. load system tables

Done.

Anyhow, once you passed step 3. I highly recommend to upgrade to 7.6.05 or higher.

regards,

Lars