cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database grown what should be done to freeup some space?

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello eveybody,

I was install the SAP IDES ECC 6.0 on 320 GB HDD. But I have made the 4 partation. All the database of IDES is on the D drive having the capacity 172 GB. The drive is nearabout full. I want to move the database on next drive. Is it possible? OR any solution that freeup some space on 😧 drive?

My database is SQL 2005. One think I will do but i don't it is good. i will take a transaction Log backup.

can this solution free up hard disk space

Waiting for earliest reply.

Thanks

Jayesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

> I want to move the database on next drive. Is it possible? OR any solution that freeup some space on 😧 drive?

Oh yes.. you can extend the tablespace and set the new datafile into another partition (if you have free space in any other drive).

you can refer the following just in case..

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/f1/5e863f06593a17e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Cheers,

Jazz

Edited by: Jazz on Dec 1, 2008 12:06 PM

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jazz

I have SQL 2005 database. then how can i extend the tablespace ?

Thanks

Ganesh

JPReyes
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

You can do the following

1. Truncate the Transaction Logs(after taking a backup)

2. Shirink the Data files.(by Ms SQL Tools)

3. Add data files and direct the storage of Data files to SAN

4. Schedule a job for automatic truncate of Transactional data every 10-20 days

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for reply me!

But i cant userstand

Add data files and direct the storage of Data files to SAN

SAN means?

How much space is freed by using those steps?

Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Add data files and direct the storage of Data files to SAN

> SAN means?

A storage area network (SAN) is an architecture to attach remote computer storage devices (such as disk arrays, tape libraries, and optical jukeboxes) to servers in such a way that the devices appear as locally attached to the operating system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storage_area_network

But dont worry, you have already made clear that you have only 320 GB harddisk. So, its clear that there is no SAN for this server. So, you can cut out that option.

Truncating the log files and shrinking the datafiles will not free much space. But you still can do that. If you have another drive with free space, you can extend the datafiles as mentioned earlier.

Cheers,

Jazz

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok the but my problem is that How to extend database to Next dirve.

My database is SQL 2005

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

Solution to your problem.

Your Problem is Database drive D is full. you need to increase the database size on another drive for example E drive.

Solution:-

If you want to increase database in E drive to the simple steps below:-

Step 1:- Open SQL Server Management Studio

Step 2:- In left Panel you will find the Database tab. Expand the Database Tab you will find your database name (e.g SID of your system).

Step 3:- Right Click on your database, Then click on properties it will open database properties window.

Step 4:- In left panel click on files , it will open files at right panel.

Step 5:- Click on Add button on database properties window to add datafile . In your case give your New drive location to extend your database.

Hope I answered your question.

Good Luck,

Atil

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes you can move or specify that the next datafile must be created in the other drive.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

> My database is SQL 2005. One think I will do but i don't it is good. i will take a transaction Log backup.

If you back up the logfile , SQL Server will shrink the log file. This will free up some space.

But please remember that IDES contain loads of data and its database will take space. 172 GB database size for IDES is not abnormal. To free the disk space from this is drive is not exactly possible.

You can actually delete the old log files from usr/sap/<SID>/<INSTANCE>/work directory. But thats not going to help much. you can archive the log files through SQL enterprise manager and shrink the log files.

Cheers,

Jazz