cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when Installing Oracle on Linux

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Hope u guys can help. Im installing oracle 8 on suse 9 to perform a system copy (this is a target system). but stuck in phase linking Oracle 8 :

Error in invoking target install of makefile ../../ins_sqlplus.mk

when i tried to install it manually :

make -f ins_sqlplus.mk install, it came out an error that says libclntsh.so: undefined reference to '__ctype_toupper'

Any one can help me with this?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

man...just had a look in PAM.

the main reason im installing this is because I want to do a migration to a Windows platform.Because the original are using SLES 7.0 with Oracle 8 and there's so much dependencies in the file system that needs to be update before performing a R3Load.So the only option I have is to update the OS and do the migration there.Is Oracle 9 backward compatible? i.e I copy the offline data (Oracle 😎 to Oracle 9 instead of upgrading it like in MSSQL Server?

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you already looked at the PAM - i wonder why asking for such an OS related problem.

> So the only option I have is to update the OS and do the migration there.Is Oracle 9 backward compatible? i.e I copy the offline data (Oracle 😎 to Oracle 9

If you just want to copy the oracle control-/datafiles, etc. - no it will not work. You have to do a normal oracle upgrade to get your Oracle 8i database running on Oracle 9i.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

SLES 9 with Oracle 8 Enterprise n 4.6C SR2

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

ok your kernel version is still missing.

But if i look at the 4.6D_EXT ones, then only Oracle 9.2 (or higher) is supported on SLES 9.

If i also take a look in metalink for the refrence "__ctype_toupper" - i find unsupported OS versions for oracle.

Regards

Stefan

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Hazrienne,

your provided information is not enough.

What is SuSE 9? There is something like SLES 9 out there.. please define it exactly.

What SAP release are you using?

What platform are you using?

I can not find any supported combination in the PAM with Oracle 8i on SLES 9.. so please post your versions and releases.

Regards

Stefan