cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much time the workflow has taken while loading the repository

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Can you please tell me how do i know how much time the workflows has taken at the time of loading the repository? Actually i am accessing the log of Workflow in the reports under repository and i am finding a lot of info there but not able to determine how much time the workflow has taken. Some of the details are as follows:

thread timestamp details

7 09/11/2008 11:33:17:906 Error: Workflow intilalization.Could not retrieve mail server info.

7 11:37:21246 No of unlaunched jobs loaded: 0

7 15:23:29:245 No of launched jobs loaded:234151

7 15:23:29:950 Daemon is started at: 09/11/2008

15:23:29

7 15:23:29:500 Workflow is initialized

12 19:37:24:234 Matching process update : Matching task id 1[2064/2064]

Regards:

Gaurav

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

If i have understood your question correctly.

The time a workflow takes to complete depends on each user of the workflow.

The time the User/Role assigned to a task takes to process his job,will all get accumulative to give the final workflow completion time.

The task can be delayed by a user even for a day or more.

I do not think there is any information on how much total time the workflow has taken to complete.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

From the sentence time what workflow has taken to complete, i means that there are a no of workflows which are being uploaded into workflows table, so how do we know that whether the workflow issue is the cause of lenghty time to load the repository...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Check the method posted above which may help you to determine the amount of time workflows must have taken while loading the repository.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

The Workflow report which gets generated while loading the repository does not tell about the time the workflow has taken at the time of loading the repository because no workflow gets triggered while loading of repository.

That report first tells you whether you have specified any mail server entry in mds.ini file. If you specify the mail server info then workflow report will not give you the workflow initialization error.

Then MDM starts a Daemon; Daemon is nothing but a program that run continously and exits for the purpose of handling service requests that your computer system will receive from MDM server while executing any workflow in MDM. The Daemon program forwards the requests to other program or processes as appropriate.

So, in your report, first MDM throws a Workflow initialization error and then starts the Daemon program for workflow. then it only initializes the workflow. Now in mds.ini file, if you have set Workflow Detailed Report as True; then MDM will generate a report for every workflow that you execute inside MDM.

If your repository is taking long time to load; then I would request you to refer the documents provided by SAP on Data Modeling Techniques.

For your reference, i am attaching a link on Data Modeling document:

How to handle Data Modeling in SAP MDM 5.5

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/5d4211fa-0301-0010-9fb1-ef1fd917...

You can find many more links on SDN.

Regards,

Varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Varun,

Can u please tell how i can see MDS.ini file or what u say whether it has been set to true or not? FYI, i am using a remote system to access MDM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

For viewing the mds.ini file: Go to the directory where your MDM server is installed (Like in my case it's C:\Program Files\SAP MDM 5.5\Server) --> there you can find mds.ini file.

You are using the remote system to access MDM, then you need to connect to the MDM server using Remote connection ( go to run --> type mstsc --> then give the IP address of the MDM server --> give user name and password)

After establishing remote connection with the remote machine where MDM server is installed; you can navigate to the folder which I have specified in the beginning. In that directory, you can find mds.ini file.

In that mds.ini file, you will find the parameter Workflow Detailed Report; which you can set either as TRUE or FALSE (depending upon your requirement)

Regards,

Varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Load the repository first then select the Reports node of the repository, you will get various columns Date/Time, Type, DBMS Server etc. Sort the records according to Type and check the entries for Type=Workflow. First and Last record will tell you the entire time frame workflow has contributed in loading the repository.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Jitesh,

Actually we tried to load repository 2 time. For the first time it was not loaded properly and for the second time it got loaded. But the time diff between them is more than 4 hours..so i have mentioned the details in the question itself above as i was not sure about the time taken. please refer to that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Loading time of repository is not fixed it depends on factors like Number of Processes running into the system, Memory available etc so how can one commit the exact time workflows will take while loading the repository. With the method i posted i can say that loading of workflows start at say time t1(by refering the first entry in Type=Workflow) and ends at t2(by refering the last entry).

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Though Workflows could be one of the reasons for long loading time of the rep.

There could be many others factors too causing this Delay in loading the MDM rep.

The two main reasons could be:

- Large quantity of Master data loaded in MDM.

- Incorrect data model.

How many workflows are designed in MDM that are loaded at a time?

I have worked with min 5 complex workflows in one rep.and it did not give me much issues with loading time.

Look out for other possible reasons for this performance issue.

You can go have a look on Data modelling links below that can help in improving system performance.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/80fc0a2e-6561-2910-839e-8ff3e36d... (data modelling)

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/eb7447b1-0c01-0010-8d90-a2e004ca... (data modelling)

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d0d8aa53-b11d-2a10-aca2-ff2bd42a... (data modelling)

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto