cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No body text in email with Notify function

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi! I have just sent up a workflow and include here 2 notify calls. As far as the workflow is concerned, it works. However, the email notification did not work so well.

First of all, a summary of my workflow set up:

Start

-> Branch (validate a price change)

-> Stop - Check in data if no price change

-> Assign - Set status of record to 'To be approved' if there is a price change

-> Notify approver

-> Process to send to approver

-> Branch (validate status = approved)

-> Stop - Check in if approved

-> Notify administrator if rejected

-> Stop - rollback record

In both email notifications, the body text did not come through. For the second notification, I have maintained the following text with variables:

The Following Records have been rejected by the Approver:

The repository name: %RepositoryName%

The table name: %TableName%

The job name: %JobName%

The record id and display fields of the job records:

%Records%

Does anyone know what I might have missed out here? Could it be that this function is only available in MDM 5.5 SP6? We are on SP5. But I thought at least the normal text will appear.

In summary the email set up that I have done so far are:

1. Set up mail server in MDS ini file

2. Set up email address for the approver and administrator in Console > Admin > Users.

Thanks very much for any help rendered.

Regards

SF

Edited by: SF on Nov 28, 2008 3:28 PM

Edited by: SF on Nov 28, 2008 3:50 PM

Edited by: SF on Nov 28, 2008 4:38 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SF,

Your settings look correct,The Notify step should work fine.

Still you can refer the below link ,which will guide you in detail on how to use the Notify step in MDM Workflows.

I have used the Notification step in MDM workflows in the SP06 version and it works fine.I am not quite sure whether this will will work in the SP05 version.

Even after all the correct settings if it does not work as expected ,then i guess it should be a version problem.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/90efe90c-b03f-2b10-65bf-e572fef6... (email notification in wf)

The main reasons why the notify step may not work are:

Check for the following:

- The mds Settings are correct and mention the IP of the server instead of the Name.

- All the users to whom notification have to be send must have to complete email ,mention in console.

- Try Restarting the MDM server once after configuring the MDS.ini file

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi! The notification email does come through. It's just that there is nothing on the body of the mail. Does that mean that the server set up in the MDS file is working? I am going to double check whether there is a version issue here.

Thanks!

SF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SF,

If you are getting the notification that means server specified in MDS.ini is working fine. Yes you should check the Version. Also dont use any Variables in email body, just try with simple message.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SF,

Yes, if your email is coming across taht means your setting sin the MDS file is correct and the connection is established for passing the mail.

In this case the body of the mail must also appear then.

If the email body is not appearing as expected then this could be a possible issue with the version as ,I said in my earlier post,the Mail notification step works fine with the SP06 version not very sure whether it will work with the SP05 version.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, I removed the variables on the other email and tested it but I am still receiving emails with no body text. I read the Data Manager help for both MDM5.5 SP5 and SP6 and found that the main difference is that variables are specifically mentioned in SP6 but not at all in SP5. So, I am assuming here that variables cannot be used in SP5 which is fine for my testing. But I expect that the normal body text should still work for my current version of SP5. Anyway, we are planning to update the support pack to SP6 and I will test again and see whether this problem will go away by then. In the meantime, I will keep this thread open until I get to test in the newer version.

Thanks all!

SF

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is the same problem I am having. It could be an issue with the email exchange server. Are you using Exchange Server 2007? If you have access to Exchange Server 2003 try running a test. My guess is that you email notification will work just fine. Also, in SP05 the subject line of your email can not be more that 75 characters.

Good Luck,

Joni

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joni,

Do you mind elaborate a bit more on how/what I can run the test? I will probably have to involve our Basis or network people here and so may have to give them very specific instruction.

Cheers!

SF

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

We finally completed the upgrade to SP4 patch 3 but the body text is still not working! Anymore suggestions?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a resolution to this issue.

It turns out this problem is related to the version of the Exchange Server you are using. If you are using MS Exchange 2003 you should not be having the "empty email body" problem. MS Exchange 2007 requires a blank line between the subject and text. Because the emails are generated from within the software SAP had to make a programming change. MDM 5.5. SP06 Patch 4 works fine. If you are still having issues you will need to open an OSS message.

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joni,

Thanks for the info. We are on MS Exchange 2007 and I just found that we are actually only up to MDM 5.5. SP06 Patch 3 as we upgraded end last year and patch 4 is only released in Jan this year. Also, I found that the solution is in patch 3 hotfix 17.

Cheers!

SF

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi! I just upgraded to MDM 5.5 SP06 Patch 04 and the body text is still not appearing. Any idea?

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The problem is most likely the Exchange Server.

If you are using Exchange Server 2007 you will receive your emails with no text within.

SAP has provided a fix for SP06 Patch 4.

Joni

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SF,

I have seen this before on systems which have some advanced features of spam control or anti-virus software.

If you check the message coming out of MDM to the mail server you will see that it does contain the body of the message, the body is being stripped by the mail server.As a test, can you see if you can send an email to a Microsoft Outlook Express client or a POP client?

Another possibility is to check the encoding on your email server. Changing this to standard encoding could also alleviate the problem.

Alternatively, this issue was resolved in MDM 5.5 SP06 (5.5.62.48) on AIX.

Thanks,

Shai

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello, I am already on SP6 patch 4.

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi! FYI, the problem is solved. I have to apply SP4 P6 (5.5.64.75) in AIX version 5.5.64.79.

Regards

SF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check the Workflow Owner has Email ID because notification you will receive will be from the Owner of the workflow. Also instead of passing mail server name try with IP address.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja