cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional Module

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

Can any one explain me the use of functional modules.

I know it is a technical stuff. But i would like to know in brief as a functional consultant.

please provide me any links available related to functional modules.............

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Function modules are procedures that are defined in special ABAP programs only, so-called function groups, but can be called from all ABAP programs. Function groups act as containers for function modules that logically belong together. You create function groups and function modules in the ABAP Workbench using the Function Builder.

Function modules allow you to encapsulate and reuse global functions in the SAP System. They are managed in a central function library. The SAP System contains several predefined functions modules that can be called from any ABAP program. Function modules also play an important role during updating and in interaction between different SAP systems, or between SAP systems and remote systems through remote communications.

Unlike subroutines, you do not define function modules in the source code of your program. Instead, you use the Function Builder. The actual ABAP interface definition remains hidden from the programmer. You can define the input parameters of a function module as optional. You can also assign default values to them. Function modules also support exception handling. This allows you to catch certain errors while the function module is running. You can test function modules without having to include them in a program using the Function Builder.

The Function Builder also has a release process for function modules. This ensures that incompatible changes cannot be made to any function modules that have already been released. This applies particularly to the interface. Programs that use a released function module will not cease to work if the function module is changed.

Regards

San