cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client numbering strategy - what's the best

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have been seeing different strategies for naming clients in different systems in a landscape. In some cases there are the same client numbers in QA and PRD systems while in some landscapes they are different (usually client numbers are higher towards PRD system, like DEV100, QAS200 and PRD300).

While I'm aware of several advantages of having the same numbers in all systems (or at least in PRD and QA), I can't see any serious advantage of having different numbers, but only disadvantages.

I would like to hear your opinion about this. What would be the reasoning behind the strategy of naming clients differently? I'm referring particularly to ERP systems, but the question can be related to BI, CRM and other systems as well.

Kind regards,

Grigor

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As far as I know theres no particular benefit choosing the same client number or different ones... some people do it because is easier to remember or give them an indication about the system they're logged in.

You can use any client number you want with exception of 000, 001 and 066.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Juan,

one strong reason to have the same client numbers would be that it enables homogeneous (system) copy from PRD to, for example, QA. Otherwise, if client numbers are different, it is possible only to copy individual clients.

Kind regards,

Grigor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gregor,

I agree with you : this is very important if you are used to refresh the QA system from the production.

It is also easier to remember.

Regards,

Olivier

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I suppose...

You can always do a client export/import.... but Homogeneous system copy or Database restore is quicker.

Regards

Juan