cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assiging numbers... HELP!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

We have an issue about vendor/material/customer number.

Proposal 1: we create a master record in MDM (using an EP like front end), then we send the standard idoc to ECC, but in the syndication moment we generate the remote key for our remote system (we only have 1 ECC system and previously, we configured in mdm console range of values por each material type/account groups). Then, the IDOC is taken by PI and sent to ECC (obviously we configured external assigments of numbers in ECC). Once the PI has taken the file, it returned in an inbound port in MDM and we update the vendor/material/customer/ record.

Proposal 2: when we have the last approver in portal for the master data, we use a web service or BAPI or API to get the next number in ECC, then we send the idoc to PI (with the number it got) and then send it to ECC. Once is storage the master data in ECC, we extract the master data in an idoc, PI take the file and put it in an MDM inbound port and finally, we update our remote key in MDM.

Which of this 2 options is better? but what kind of solution is the best practice in SAP?

10x

Pp.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jose Luis,

Regarding Vincent's comment, I think you can use a filter in syndicator with the date for syndication or some other field in order to avoid syndication sending the record twice in case no other field but number has changed.

About your proposal 2, I would say once your system is in production if there is a problem in the extraction process it would be more complex for support team to detect the point of the failure. If you use MDM only for this process, it would be easier for them. Also, you would need to set a mechanism for avoiding two or more different processes to take the last assigned number. Let me see if I can explain myself better. Lets say this:

- one process requests the last number assigned in R3,

- at the vey moment this process comes back with the number and before the record has been syndicated, another request for the last generated number is made,

- then you would probably have more than one record with the same number assigned in MDM.

If you would like to control what I just explained for proposal 2, you may probably have to add a table in your repository to know which is the last number you are about to assign in MDM. In fact, you would be replicating exactly the functionallity that R/3 and MDM gives you by standard, but separated. All that is result of mixing functionalities of two applications (one in R/3 module and MDM) for the same purpose.

As a conclusion of my intervention, if I were you I would try to keep the solution only in MDM (proposal 1).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Alejandra

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jose,

I dont understand why do u need to assign numbers to your records after creating them.

It has to be done initially when you create them.

For this you can use auto ids or can also edit the remote keys of various records.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minaz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Minaz

I left say that our remote key value must be our vendor/material/customer number.

10x

Pp.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

if I understand you need to have the remote key value in a field in your Main table

the problem is the remote key is generated at syndication and you would like to get it to return on your MDM record to have the remote key in Main table.

(When remote key is in main table, query can be done using this field. Not if remote key value stay only as remote key)

I your both proposal you will update your original record with the remote key value for a number reference field. Remember when you are updating record, syndication is done. I your both proposal, I think, new syndication will be done, and by the way, new update by return remote key value ...

Depending how you will manage a new record (portail, MDM console) you have to manage this update without a loop of syndication. Have only one syndication (in case this new record launch a workflow for example) become more complex and solution is dedicated to the input interface.

Hope helps you

Vincent