cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is MDM a tool to design a Data ware house or Database?

0 Kudos

Hi

Is MDM a tool to design a Data ware house or Database . Is it an ETL.?

Actually what do you design in the repository? Does it follow any schema ? where does the data get stored?

would i load the data into MDM?

what do i design for?

I understood the usage of MDM & The differnce between SAP BI that MDM is for Master data

and BI is for both Master and Transactional data and a lot more...

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks and regards

Novino

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member210091
Participant
0 Kudos

>>Actually what do you design in the repository?

In repository you mainly design your tables to store data (and objects),you design main table and then subsequent look-up tables.you can also design various tables for storing specific information like Text block,HTMl,pdf,Image etc.

>>Does it follow any schema ?

Yes,it does follow schema,you can see the schema in repository->export repository schema.

>> where does the data get stored?

In the underlying data,whcih can be Oracle,SQL MaxDB etc.

would i load the data into MDM?

data is stored in the underlying database,but you access that data from MDM clients.

The basic thing is that you will be storing data in the databse itself but from MDM interfaces you can easily access them and perform varios operations on them.

Thanx

Saif

0 Kudos

Hi Saif,

Thanks for the insight. few more doubts?.

What is the name of the Schema ? as you mentioned.

Is it Star Schema, snow flake schema or extended star schema? or any other?

Could you pls let me know to What could be the prerequisites interms of knowledge to design a repository?

Do i have to be specialized in any data base designing?

do i have know xml, abap as well to work on MDM?

Thanks and regards

Novino.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Novino

Suggest you to read the reference guides on MDM, will answer most of your queries.

What is the name of the Schema ? as you mentioned.

Is it Star Schema, snow flake schema or extended star schema? or any other?

MDM can use any schema file custom or SAP standard IDoc structure. Star or snow flake schema are database design principles. You can store any xsd file as valid schema in MDM which contains information about the data type and field name,meta data etc in MDM repository.

Could you pls let me know to What could be the prerequisites interms of knowledge to design a repository?

Do i have to be specialized in any data base designing?

This is most important job Data modeling. You need to understand the master object considered and the business needs or processes which will be supported by MDM. Use Data Manager reference guide, that will equip you with Data modeling.

do i have know xml, abap as well to work on MDM?

Not necessarily but if you know them it adds value while working on integration scenarios of MDM like Consolidation and Harmonization of data.

Hope it helped.

regards

Ravi

Answers (0)