cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J2EE Stack - extremely slow start up

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I am running a netweaver 7 Portal, currently on SPS15.

I have found that the startup of the system take an incredibly long time, before, the total startup time would be about 30 minutes, which is way to long by my terms anyway, but recently I have found that the java processes (SDM, DISPATCHER & SERVER0) are sitting in status "waiting for start" for almost 20 minutes. I cannot see that anything is happening at this point, and after these 20 minutes it progresses to the "Starting Framework" status, and so on.

Anyone else experienced this before?

Ian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are achieving J2EE (NW2004s SP16 Portal) startup in around 7 minutes. Here are a few thoughts:

1. Try upgrading your JVM to the latest (SR10) release and enable the 2.3 options e.g., IBMJava2-amd64-142-SR10 (on our environment) with options -Xjvm:j9vm23 -Xsoftrefthreshold0. This provides better stability and memory management.

2. Check your startup logs for errors. Disable any applications you don't need starting up.

3. Check your DB is sized and your J2EE DB connection pools have been tuned correctly for example see sap notes 934808, 1017324 if you're using Oracle 10g.

4. We found that our network filer was a bottleneck as it reads thousands of small files when starting up the J2EE. Check how your file system / storage is configured.

Answers (0)