cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS migration - Existing server is on Solaris need to change to Suse Linux

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SDN,

My Development server is on Sun solaris 10 and need to change the OS SUSE linux 10.

kinldy guide.

1.This is migration activity or Heteogenues copy.

Kindly suggest the steps invloed in it.

please provide your expert guidelines.

Database is Oracle 10.2.0.2 .(only need to change the os not database)

Regards,

Ravi Ghangurde

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

Apologies, you are correct. I was confused with the Migration Check service which is only mandatory for a system which is going to be in productive use.

Regards,

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

A certified consultant is only a requirement for an migration of a productive system. You should review the heterogeneous system copy guide

A heterogeneosu system copy will require a migration key, you must request this at

http://service.sap.com/migrationkey

Regards,

David

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> A certified consultant is only a requirement for an migration of a productive system. You should review the heterogeneous system copy guide

Oh - this is interesting! The website says:

If you want full support for the migration (be it a production system or not)
then you must secure the services of a technical consultant 
with special certification for OS/DB migration.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus can you tell me where this

"If you want full support for the migration (be it a production system or not)

then you must secure the services of a technical consultant

with special certification for OS/DB migration."

is written?

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is written on the link http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration:

<...>

If you want full support for the migration (be it a production system or not) then you must secure the services of a technical consultant with special certification for OS/DB migration.

<...>

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks very much for that as I was wondering if we were copying from one set of hardware to another same OS and DB, then this does not need to be covered by the restrictions of the "migration" - do you agreen

I looked in the FAQ (in the paragraph you pointed out and there is this

*What is a homogeneous system copy?*

A system copy that doesn't involve the change of either OS or DB is called a homogeneous system copy. It is not covered by this subject and the restrictions of a migration don't apply. To change from 32 bit to 64 bit is also a homogeneous system copy.

Do you agree?

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks very much for that as I was wondering if we were copying from one set of hardware to another same OS and DB, then this does not need to be covered by the restrictions of the "migration" - do you agreen

yes - because then it´s a normal "systemcopy".

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My Development server is on Sun solaris 10 and need to change the OS SUSE linux 10.

1.This is migration activity or Heteogenues copy.

This is a heterogeneous system copy.

please provide your expert guidelines.

Since it´s a heterogeneous copy you need to have a certified migration consultant on-site, otherwise you will loose support for the target system (see the FAQ at http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration).

Database is Oracle 10.2.0.2 .(only need to change the os not database)

I´d use the R3load method. This will give you a "free reorganization". There are however other ways of doing that (transportable tablespaces).

Be aware that Solaris on SPARC is a BigEndian platform whereas Linux is implemented as LittleEndian - so if you exchange binary data with other systems they need to be aware of that fact.

Markus