cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended memory

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I'm working on a memory tuning for a system ECC 6 on Windows 2003 64-bit, SQL Server.

The server is having 12GB of physical memory.

regarding the note 88416 for Zero Administration for Memory Management

I only put 1 parameter PHYS_MEMSIZE = 8GB, I set the options for SQL Server to run with fixed memory 3 GB and 1GB will be leave for the OS>

After that I found following :

- The extended Memory show in ST02 seems ok : 8GB.

- The extended Memory shows when I run sappfpar pf=...... check only show 4096MB.

I check again for the default value of em/initial_size_MB , it shows 8GB, seems to be correct if it equals to PHYS_MEMSIZE.

After reading some notes, I add another parameter em/address_space_MB = 8GB, which was 4096 by default, after that the sappfpar now show the correct value for extended memory.

I would like to understand why the sappfpar show the incorrect value like that.

Another thing, in the sappfpar, there's 2 values I hope you can make my mind clear

Process local heaps, worst case : this is the value of total_heap_area ?

Total, worst case requirement : total, minimum requirement + process local heaps, worst case, is this value should be smaller than the physical memory, or this is should be smaller than the swap space that we set in Windows ?

Many thanks for any advice,

Best regards,

Thuy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello - With 88416 applied memory management is dynamic. em/address_space_MB controls EM per process. Under ZAMM not required. Thus sappfpar not required.

Regards.

Answers (0)