cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the "TSV_TNEW_PAGE_ALLOC_FAILED" error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear,

Our SAP system always get the TSV_TNEW_PAGE_ALLOC_FAILED error, here are our SAP database & application configurations :

Application Server

Physical memory : 14 GB

em/initial_size_MB : 14200 = 13.87 GB

ztta/roll_first : 1024 byte

ztta/roll_extension : 3001024512 byte = 2.79 GB

ztta/roll_area : 3000320 byte = 2.86 MB

rdisp/ROLL_SHM : 16384 x 8 KB = 128 MB

rdisp/ROLL_MAXFS : 32768 x 8 KB = 256 MB

abap/heap_area_dia : 2000683008 = 1.86 GB

abap/heap_area_total : 2000683008 = 1.86 GB

Here is one of (typical) our error report example, it said :

The amount of storage space (in bytes) filled at termination time was:

Roll area...................... 2718352

Extended memory (EM)........... 3004115280

Assigned memory (HEAP)......... 2000746688

Short area..................... " "

Paging area.................... 81920

Maximum address space.......... 4294967295

It seems both the EM and HEAP have reached their upper limit.

What should I do ?

(1) Increase physical memory ?

(2) Or increase just increase maximum roll area per user context (ztta/roll_extension) ?

Any ideal ? Please help me, thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

In cases where the workprocess was able to get more than 4gb, i usually check first if there is a problem in the application. I suggest you look out, if there is a specific sap note for the program which fails. You can find the program in the short dump text.

If it is a customer program, then try to talk to the developer. In most cases it should be possible to work with smaller data sets or anything like that.

Besides that, given you have 14gb physical memory, em/initial_size_MB is to big and abap/heap_area_total might be too small. If you are running the database on the same server, you probably configured way to much memory for SAP.

Best regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

I know this error is application-related, but other than request users select less records, I also want to know whether it is possible to minimize the occurrences of this error by tuning our SAP Profile Parameter settings.

Our SAP has 14 GB physical memory but our ABAP programs always terminates when they got around 3 GB Extended Memory.

So I guess might be the TSV errors can be fixed by increase the limit of ztta/roll_extension, eg. increase to 5 GB.

But I am not sure whether such an increase will have any harmful effect on the overall performance.

What do you think ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can try to go with 5gb (+ 2gb from heap), but chances are still pretty good, that the program still fails. As long as you have only one user doing this, you should be fine.

The danger with your config is, that you use more memory than 14gb. This could lead to paging (writing memory to disk), which will definitely impact performance.

Regards Michael

Answers (0)