cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Web Dispatcher with Virtual Host

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is what I intend to do. I have a single SAP EP 6.0 with SAP Web Dispatcher installed. Currently access to it is via URL http://hostname1.mydomain.com/. I would like to be able to access the very same EP via URL http://hostname2.mydomain.com/. Let's skip DNS bit for now, I am altering hosts file manually. Is this what virtual host is meant for ? Please let me know if I got the concept wrong.

So far, I managed to access via URL hostname2, but the URL will be automatically changed to hostname1. What I intend to do later is to include Javascript/JSP that display different logo/branding based on URL. Help anyone ?

Thanks and regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>Is this what virtual host is meant for ?

Yes. Usually, you also have a different URL hiearchy for each virtual host.

I have used virtual hosts with Apache but not with the SAP Web Dispatcher.

I guess that you would have to define virtual hosts also at the backend system.

Regards,

Olivier

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

i managed to detect apache running on port 80. In DocumentRoot Folder, it has index.html with onload paramater redirect. This is the cause of redirection.

Thank you for your effort

Former Member
0 Kudos

Olivier,

I remember Apache is capable of doing this. I am not going to resort to introducing new platform in my company's landscape. I wish to be able to do it via SAP Web Dispatcher.

Slava,

I've gone through the help document. But, as the document suggests, this is applicable to ITS-based web. Is there any equivalent documentation for J2EE/Netweaver Portal ?

Thanks and regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Muhammad,

J2EEEngine/EP does not have a concept of clients or multi-hosts.

It is a single client, usually 000 with role-based authorizations.

Desktop with Theme and Framwork can be assigned based on role, group, or user id, but not by the source IP.

Before user session hits EP, there should be one user assigned for sessions from one network and another user assigned to sessions from another network. You can probably acheve that vis Web Dispatcher redirects, based on accessed URLs.

Regards,

Slava

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Slava,

Can you please explain a bit more. I still cannot get hostname2 to return hostname1 without redirecting.

Thanks and regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is this what virtual host is meant for ? 
Please let me know if I got the concept wrong.

Yes and no.

Yes in a generic sense, but no in SAP terminology.

SAP has a very specific meaning of the virtual hosts and it relates to SICF.

Web Dispatcher simply supports load distribution to backend virtual hosts:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/fe/cda776f2f64d5287c614b2f715c25f/content.htm

So far, I managed to access via URL hostname2, 
but the URL will be automatically changed to hostname1

This does not have to be this way. You should be able to configure Web Dispatcher to act as a reverse proxy without redirect of hostname2 to hostname1.

Regards,

Slava