cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document Tracking with Time Constraint

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

We have a requirment to track the statuses of Documents.

1) Documents have different statuses like Create, Checked, Send for Review, Approved etc

2) Each statuses have definite time period. For eg, after Create, the user responsible has 3 days to change it to "Checked" status

3) If the user responsible does not change to "Checked" a reminder mail should be triggered.

4) ie, the system should check whether the status has been changed to "Checked" after 3 days and if not , the mail should get triggered.

Please let me know whether we can have this in Std. DMS?

Also can we give time constraint to the status..? Like as I mentioned. give 5 days to change the status to "Checked" for a pariticular user responsible?

If not how can we do this?

Regards

Aby

Edited by: Aby Thomas on Nov 23, 2008 11:28 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Aby,

With ECM, there are standard workflows already in the system which has to be programmed to behave in a time constrained fashion.

However, I think your scenario can be achieved by configuring the messaging functionality of DMS. This can be found in IMG --> Cross Application Components > Document Management> Messages.

If you check the node, "change output type" under default values tab, you can configure when exactly the email needs to be sent.

So if I think about it, you can configure a job which sends an email after 3 days of the last status change.

Sojan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank u Sojan, I will explore Messaging fucntion and see..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Aby,

I think your case is a classic example for using the functionality of ECM ( Engineering Change Management) for document status management purposes.

ECM is a module created by SAP for enabling changes through coordinated change management procedures. Essentially there is a change master and ECR/ECO related to the process.

ECR is an engineering change request and ECO is an engineering change order. If I visualise in your case, an ECR can be created for changing the statuses of a document. Once the ECR go through various statuses you can decide to finally release the ECR which creates an ECO and executes it.

Also you can configure Messaging under DMS customisation to trigger messages for document status change.

You can also trigger a workflow event based on each status change as has been suggested by some colleagues here.

My advise would be to use as much as system functionality possible for each of these custom requests.

Sojan

Note : ECM can be used to trigger any coordinated changes in the sap system. It can be material, BOM,

DMS, you name it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sojan

Thank u for the suggestion on ECM. But my question was giving fixed time frame for a status change..

Also can u explain on the messaging fucntion in DMS? Where can I find that in customising?

- Aby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Workflow consultant can help you in this regard.

Refer below link, so you can gain some information.

http://saptechnical.com/Tutorials/Workflow/Workflow.htm

Thank you,

Regards,

Seema Pilankar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi aby,

You can get this functionality with the help of workflow.

Contact with your workflow person.

Regards,

Nitin

Award point.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We dont have this functionality in STD DMS..

Your requirement can be fulfilled by using Abap-Workflow.

Thank You,

Manoj