cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading to excel - Data is Lost

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've created a button in my application which when pressed, is suppose to download the data in the excel file.

But When I press that button, I get the following message under the address bar in my browser.

To help protech your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options...

When I click on that option, I see the option to 'Download File' and on I clicking that link the webdynpro page refreshes and all the data in the fields and the table on this webdynpro page is lost.

I have almost 17 selection fields on this page where the user enters his/her criteria for this report. When the data vanishes, it is lost from all these fields and also from the table that gets populated based on this selection.

I have to use the custom button to download the data because I am combining two table to form a single download file and I cannot use the standard Export functionality.

Did anyone experience such a behaviour and how did you overcome this challenge. Please help me find a solution to this issue...

Thanks,

Sanjiv

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Change the settings of your internet explorer. Allow for file download without prompt. Go to Tools, Internet Options - Security - Internet - Custom - Download - File - Enable.

Regards

Rohit Chowdhary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

Turn off the pop up blocker Internet explorer menu ->Tools->Popup-Blocker->Turn off Popup Blocker . Then start the application again . It will work .

Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response, Rohit!

But we all know that enabling the file download without the prompt is not a safe way of going to web. So I would rather not go with that route...

I appreciate your response, but I would like to get this prompt and when I allow the file download, be able to download without loosing the data on the screen.....

Thanks,

Sanjiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response, Vivek!

The popup blocker is already off. So nothing is getting blocked. And this is not a popup anyways, it is a prompt to download the file.

So I guess we still need to find a solutuon to this....

Thanks,

Sanjiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjiv,

You can activate the prompt for file down. Go to Internet Option -> Security -> Custom -> Download -> Automatic Prompting for File downloads -> Enable.

After change in settings system will prompt with the options to Save / Open or Cancel. Hope this meets your requirement.

Regards

Rohit Chowdhary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Rohit!

This one really did the trick and I no longer face that issue of data loss..

Thanks for all your help! & Have a great Thanksgiving!

Cheers!

Sanjiv

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

DebbieCloud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

I hope you can help me. I want to export a report I wrote in ABAP Web Dynpro, but I do not know how to make a button active to actually download the info to excel.

Can you perhaps help me how to do it?

Kind regards

Debbie van Zyl