cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI development and transports

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am curiuos about transports of Java development in NWDI. Does NWDI and the Change Management Service (CMS) handle this completely with no support from the regular transport system (CMS-TMS) in SAP? I am a novice with transports, but thought that all transports were handled centrally using TMS (including the NWDI development) when migrating from dev to test to prod.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Java development in Netweaver has a completely separate system for managing things like source code control, versioning and transports from DEV->QAS->PRD. The process is controlled by the Netweaver Development Infrastructure (NWDI, formerly known as Java Dev Infrastructure) which is a separate component to be deployed and run on the Netweaver J2EE stack. Once deployed, there are two main options for the development, either using Design Time Repository (DTR) which is basically a source code control system similar to CVS, or the Change Management System which allows you to define "tracks" for migrating compiled Java packages.

Depending on the size of your development team and/or project, DTR may be sufficient. It is also possible to deploy compiled code directly to the J2EE server without the NWDI, adjusting the Workspace settings in the Developer Studio will allow you to do this, but it is an uncontrolled process.

The NWDI is a reasonably complex beast, but is documented in the Developer Studio help files and SAP Help (e.g. <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/01/9c4940d1ba6913e10000000a1550b0/content.htm">http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/01/9c4940d1ba6913e10000000a1550b0/content.htm</a> )

HTH,

Jonathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all!

Thank you for the helpfull answers. Points are rewarded!

Regards,

Thomas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please refer to this Weblog

/people/guenter.schiele/blog/2005/12/21/best-practices-for-running-the-nwdi

and also

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/09/07/have-you-bagged-a-project-if-so-its-time-to-install-jdi-java-development-infrastructure

Regards,

RK

Former Member
0 Kudos

RK,

Thank you for your response.

I am however not able to find an answer to my question. Is it correct that NWDI uses a separate deployment/transport/migration path from ABAP and IMG configuration?

Regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

when it comes to ABAP it has its own inbuilt transportation system.

But NWDI is meant only for Java,EP etc applications developed in NWDS.

plese lookinto the installtion guide.

Hope this answers you

Regards,

RK

Former Member
0 Kudos

The NWDI is totally seperate from the standard TMS for ABAP transports.

When properly configured the NWDI can transport (actualy called "deploy" in Java) your developments to the Consolidation, QA and Production instances. Thr exact route of the deployment depend on how you configure your tracks.