Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Client and Server Connection

former_member202443
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Guys,

I like to know whether the SAP MDM installation has some specific configuration on client and server side to be connected. Means I like to install clients and server on different machines and connect through internet. Please refer me some help.

Regards,

NK

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naeem,

Mostly the landscape will be setup in such a way that you will have to install the SAP MDM Server and other servers like Import Server (for importing data into MDM), Syndication Server (for exporting data out of MDM) on a single machine which will consist the server side.

The different clients of MDM like SAP MDM Console, Import Manager, Data Manager, Syndicator etc. will be installed on different machines (client side) which will acces the MDM Server and the repositories loaded on that MDM Server.

Thanks and Regards,

Sagar Sonje

former_member202443
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Theoretically my concept is clear as you explained. But I like to know the technical service configuration between server and client machines. Is there proper configuration to do or just to write the server name or IP address in MDM Console to be connected to server machine through internet.

Regards,

NK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naeem,

If you have both the server machine and client machine are in the same network i.e. if you can ping the machines then you require the IP Address or server name to be entered in GUI Clients in order to connect to the MDM Server.

Thanks and Regards,

Sagar Sonje

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naeem,

You can install the MDM server on one machine and the clients like the

- MDM console

- MDM Import Manager

- MDM Data Manager

- MDM Syndicator

on different systems.

Ideally also you have one machine dedicated to act as your MDM server ,where you have all your MDM server files installed.

An dyour MDM rich clients like the GUI are installed on all other systems from where you want to work with MDM.

All you will have to do to access these clients from other systems is just that make sure

that your MDM Repository is loaded and the server running.

you do not have to necessary mount the server through console on your system and load the rep to work with it.

Even if the server is mounted and rep loaded by someone on any other system.

you can open the clients like data manager,import manager and syndicator and work on them without any difficulty.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

former_member202443
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Sagar,

I have both computers on the internet but not on the same network. I have not configured any particular LAN for that purpose. Can't client and server connect through internet???

Regards,

NK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naaem,

Connecting the MDM client and MDM server through the internet is not what is SAP MDM all abt.

The client and server are connected to the MDM Server not to internet.

For enabling webservices, I think you should go for front end systems like EP.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minaz

former_member202443
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Minaz,

I know the purpose of MDM deployment is purely on LAN designated and if it is required on the internet then EP solution is available. But in the first option (LAN) MDM will be territory dependent. Isn't any solution available there to connect the clients and and server in locating in different cities, except EP solution???

Regards,

NK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi NK,

I still dont understand why would you like to connect clients and servers at different locations, once they are already connected to a specific mdm server.

It is very much possible to access a MDM server at a particular location by a client at a different location.

You dont need to perform any specific settings for that.

It would be good if you be more specific on what exactly your landscape requirements are.

Thanks,

Minaz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naeem,

I think you can access the MDM Server using VPN. You need to ask your Networking Dept to open the ports and all configurations. But i dont think it is logical to access the Server which is out of your landscape.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naaem,

Please refer to the below link for installation and other performance issues.

http://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700001191122007E

https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001119842007E

https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/installmdm

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minaz

Edited by: Minaz Kathawala on Nov 20, 2008 12:27 PM