Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on MDM syndication distribution folders

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I've got another question when working on a detailed design document:

When we use MDM syndication server to automatically distribute records to other systems via PI, what's the usage of each folders, esp. Ready, Exception and Archive? My previous understanding is, the distributed xml files will be placed in Ready folder. And after been processed by PI, PI is responsible for moving the data file from Ready to Archive. And I've never seen any cases that the Exception folders are used.

But today I found some documents with the expression saying The newly added or updated MDM records are gathered and written to an xml file that will be placed in a temporary directory with a temporary name. In this directory, MDM Syndicator will change the file name in the same directory so PI file adapter will poll at this folder and send the message to the PI system.

Could anyone let me know,

1> which system (MDM syndication server/Syndicator/PI) is responsible for giving/changing the file name? Or, is there even any necessasity to change the file name?

2> And who is responsible for moving the data files from Ready to Archive?

3> Do the Exception folders have the same usage as the ones in Inbound folders? Who would be responsible to distinguish exceptions, MDM syndication server/Syndicator/PI ?

Thanks in advance!

Angela

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member182007
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Angela,

At the time of syndication Exception occurs just because wrong mapping of destination items or as far as my understanding says just because of wrong configuration of syndication server in case of Automated syndication.

at the time of automatic syndication we should take care of it. because most of the time you will never know that syndicated records are going in to the exception folder.

Hope it helps.

Rgds

Deepak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Angela,

To answer to your questions:

which system (MDM syndication server/Syndicator/PI) is responsible for giving/changing the file name? Or, is there even any necessasity to change the file name?

- When we are using the MDM Syndicator to export data out from MDM manually to our local system or to any FTP enabled folder path,Then you have an option to change the output file name.As you have to give a file name to the syndicated output file when sending it out form MDM eg File1.csv or File1.xml.

- When you are syndicating automatically from MDM suing the Syndication server,then there is no option available to rename or change the outputted file name.This file is automatically always syndicated to the ports Ready folder with a defaulted name Data<timestamp>.

- If you want to change the name of the file ,the only option is going manually to the ready folder where the syndicated file sits and rename it there.

And who is responsible for moving the data files from Ready to Archive?

- While importing data through remote systems,the Input file after being pulled from the ready folder,the file is automatically pushed to archive folder without any manual intervention.

- However during syndication,multiple output files can be present in the outbound ready folder and there is no automatic provision to move it to the archieve folder.

Do the Exception folders have the same usage as the ones in Inbound folders? Who would be responsible to distinguish exceptions, MDM syndication server/Syndicator/PI ?

- The exception folders in the outbound ports are same as for inbound,Whenever there is any issues with the incoming or outgoing file with respect to the structure or values and so the file cannot be imported or exported.it moves automatically to the respective exception folder.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pinto,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have a furhter question to your comments below:

+Do the Exception folders have the same usage as the ones in Inbound folders? Who would be responsible to distinguish exceptions, MDM syndication server/Syndicator/PI ?

The exception folders in the outbound ports are same as for inbound,Whenever there is any issues with the incoming or outgoing file with respect to the structure or values and so the file cannot be imported or exported.it moves automatically to the respective exception folder.+

I've never seen an exception happened when using syndication Server to syndicate data

(the Exception folders are always empty). Is there any parameters to config the port/map/server so that I can make it work?

Thank you!

Angela

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Angela,

Occurance of exception is not a favourable condition,and the fact it does not occur is teh expected result.

You do not need to configure or set any thing to cause it to happen. Mostly there are more instances of exceptions occuring while importing rather than during syndication.

Howvever the likely situation that can cause na exception while syndicating can be:

- If there's amismatch in the Maps name as used in the syndicator and that set in Console.

- Or some issues in the field mapping as in syndicator for the required fields and included fields.

- Also if the f outputted file is not saved correctly or with the correct ext as suppoted by mdm.

Thess are just the possible conditions that can cause excetions to occur.But mostly in real time scenario Syndication exceptions are rare to see.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Angela,

1> which system (MDM syndication server/Syndicator/PI) is responsible for giving/changing the file name? Or, is there even any necessasity to change the file name?

2> And who is responsible for moving the data files from Ready to Archive?

3> Do the Exception folders have the same usage as the ones in Inbound folders? Who would be responsible to distinguish exceptions, MDM syndication server/Syndicator/PI ?

If you are talking abt R3 XI MDM scenario.

then the middleware like XI is responsible for changing the name of the file.

The files move automcatically from ready to archieve once the data is successfully imported to the MDM system.

Yes the exception folders have the same usage as the opnes in inboound folder.The responsibilitu to distinguish and trace the exception lies with both the MDM team as well as the PI team as there is always a need to figure out what is the exact problem and where and how can it be fixed.

For more information you can refer the below link.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/43/12036df94c3e92e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minaz