cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to download the SAP client into text file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to download a SAP client to a text file for backup and then upload it again for restoration when needed. Can this be done?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you want to 'download' a single client, what you can do is that you can do export of the client (with the requiired copy profile) and two/three transport requests wouldomizing data) be created at the operating system level in the transport directory.

You can later import this client whenevr required into any other client of this or another system through STMS.

This way you can have a backup of the client 'at that time'.

However, the files would be not text file but like a standard transport request data file.

Hope I have made myself clear, if you have any further queries you can let me know.

Also, this is different from backup of database (which will include all clients and also repository data alongwith customizing data).

Thanks & Regards,

Kunal Patel.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

1) Can you please tell me if this download file will also include the transaction data (eg. customer master, invoice documents and etc) of the client?

2) Can you give me the t.code of this function to export?

3) Can you also give me which option of the STMS that i have to use to import it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Regarding which data you want to export, you have to select the corresponding profiles in SCC8:

If you want to export transaction data & master data (this is together known as application data), then you have to select the appropriate profile. Alongwith application data, customizing data would also be there, because it cant be transferred alone. ALso, you can choose whether to export user data or not.

But please note that repository data (programs etc) would not be part of this export.

The transaction is SCC8 for client export.

For importing you can import like any other transport request.

For details you could refer to the below link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/69/c24c824ba111d189750000e8322d00/frameset.htm

Thanks & Regards,

Kunal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have checked the t.code and the help materials but no where it is mentioned how to export the client into an OS level file.

SCC8 allows copying between client or systems only. How can we export the client into an external OS file so that i can copy it out to my DVDs.

Another question, will this file be exremely huge eventhough the application data contained is small?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

If you run SCC8, then data & cofiles would be formed at O.S. level in transport directory.

See, what you are saying that it allows copying only, that exactly is done by export' and then 'import'.

If required you can copy into DVD from the O.S. level.

If the file contains application data, it can be huge.

If it does not contain application data, it can be less than or equal to 500 MB.

Thanks & Regards,

Kunal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ok, how can i find what is the transport directory of a sap server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One more thing. Please inform the Basis person also because this activity is mainly Basis activity.

Also, in case the filesystem is full because of the export file, then he needs to know. And this activity is performed when there is less or no activity in the system.

Transport directory is given by DIR_TRANS parameter, normally it will be /usr/sap/trans in unix.

Thanks & Regards,

Kunal.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

go to rz10 .. check for DIR_TRANS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you kidding ?

You want to use a several hundred gigabytes text file ?

You can export a client in a SAP proprietary format but the purpose is NOT backup.

You need to backup the full database (all clients) with backup tools. Brbackup for example if your database is Oracle or SQL server management studio if your DB is SQL Server...

Regards,

Olivier