cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer files from one directory to another using HTTPS message protocol

Former Member
0 Kudos

My client has an requirement where the source files are in different directory and they need to be placed in a target directory with the same filename..it looked simple so far... but the actual complexity is that the source files are on a Novell server where my XI box doesn't have visibility ( Novel client cannot be installed on OS win 2003 64 bit) so File adapter cannot be used to read/write files, i need to design a solution to overcome this. My plan is to write a script or web service in Novel server and use that in the Sender HTTP adapter and also write another Web service to listen to Receiver HTTP adapter, i am not sure how HTTP adapter can be used for transfering files but my client insists on HTTPS as it is more secure. Can any one throw some light... if they had similar requirement before.

Thanks,

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HTTP adapter is not an option here, coz it does not support attachments. You might consider the SOAP if you want the files to be pushed into XI - meaning the sender system initiates the file transfer. If you want to pull the file into XI, Java proxy might be an option. You can develop a stand alone java program that triggers the proxy say every one hour. The proxy transfers the files to XI.

Regards

Jaishankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have decided to write a Java client servlet which will pick the file from the Novell server and encompass the file content into the body of the XML in the payload and sends it to XI as an HTTP client request and then XI will call another Java Server servlet configured as a host in the reciever HTTP adapter within XI. This servlet will place the file in the respective folder. So friends can you reckon whether this design makes sense or .....

Thanks..

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sounds ok but... just to understand.. is the target also not accessible from the File Adapter? Otherwise why would you not use the file adapter on the receiver side?

Secondly HTTP is ok but you realise that for monitoring the HTTP adapter is not part of the Adapter engine and hence if you have issues you could not simply goto the Comm Channel Monitoring to investigate?

Maybe an approach using SOAP may be better assuming the mssages are not huge.

Lastly you ask why would you use XI if you can just develop a separate servlet to do the job... well you can mention the following:

Central Place for Monitoring all message flow and maintenance

If you are using CCMS then it is very easy to integrate the errors there

Consistency in overall design to be aligned with other interfaces

these kind of things are good to bring up... remember that way after the project has completed someone will have to monitor and maintain all of this so it is nice to have a central point of reference to see exactly what interfaces you company has.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Alex..

To answer your first question,,even the target directory is not accessible to XI box.

You are right monitoring would be difficult, so can we would use XI adapter instead of HTTP adapter and choose transport protocol as HTTP? Is it wise to do that?

Cannot use SOAP as the files can be huge..

BR,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Need to develop a sample application on Novell server that will send HTTP request to XI. Then you can use FTP Sender Adapter.

Try using Apache HTTP Client with attachment. http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/features.html

You can find posts for configuring HTTPS adapter.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

Thank you very much for your reply, the solution which you recommended is exactly the same which i planned to propose..However, the next question my architect would ask is..then why you need XI layer in between? We can write a small aplication on Novell to send the files to respective directory which is what our current application VICEVERSA is doing, Is there with no option i am left with now except recommend your proposal..

Regards,

Ravi

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rather than using https use FTPS. This is FTP over TLS and hence should meet security requirements.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I cannot use FTP because i cannot use File adapter and furthurmore my architect is adamant on using FTP because he wants the response back from the message protocol so he wants me to use HTTP.

Regards,

Ravi