cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select Expert using ISNULL

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using Crystal Reports XI and I have a table that has customer names with "NULL" values. I am wanting to print all of those records in the table with the NULL value. Can someone help me with this issue.

Thanks Jim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Jim,

1) Goto > Report Options >Check the option "Convert Database Null Values to default".

And also check the option " Convert the other values to default".

2) Now goto > Record Selection Formula > Select "Default Values for null". and write the below formula

isnull(Database_Field)= true.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Vinay

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to throw my $.02 in, I never turn on the report option to change null values to default. it vastly complecates any other forumla you might want to write in the report, and can cause performance issues under certian circumstances.

I use 'default values for null' in the formula workshop for the select expert, or explicitly in formulas where I need that functionality.

Also, just a picky point, but asing "isnull() = true" is redundant. if the field is null, isnull evaluates to true, and then you're asking if true = true. If it isn't null you're asking if false=true which is clearly false. In cases such as these isnull() alone will suffice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I ran across this while searching a solution for a simular problem i was having. When i used a select Formula

isnull({table.feild}) it was clearing my entire report of informaiton. I had used this on previous versions of Oracle and Crystal. I just recently was moved to Crystal 11 and I believe Oracle 11. The solution it turned out was the "=true" thus "isnull({table.feild}) = true"...... i don't know what is different but this was the only way I could get the desired effect of selecting the null records. Go figure

Edited by: Kschuett on Feb 10, 2012 12:18 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response, That worked.

Thanks Jim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

Is the issue resolved ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response, but it didnt select any records. I am trying to list all of the records where this field has a null value in the {CRD1.U_ShipName} field.

Thanks Jim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please try the following:

isnull({CRD1.U_ShipName})= true;

Regards,

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

I performed those steps, and added in the Reports Selection "isnull{CRD1.U_ShipName}= true" ,but I am receiving the following error, "The remaining text does not appear to be part of the formula". Im not sure what this error is.

Thanks Jim

Former Member
0 Kudos

go to file, report options

check null value boxes