cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question On DB02

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

On Netweaver 04 BI, I type the transaction DB02, after which, I click on the button which says

"Space Statistics", I get on to a page which gives me a Tablespace history, In this page, I can see something called Chg/day, Can anyone please tell me what this Chg/day mean, and how much on an average it should be, And what do you mean by saying extents are, please take out some time and be brief about it.

Thankyou

SreekuL NaiR

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is just information.

it gives you the difference between yesterday and today.

it is usually non-interesting checking this on a daily basis. check on a weekly or monthly basis to get a better overview.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi eric,

The problem is not as simple as it seems like, I have to create a report based on the growth of database, coz everyday, there is a process chain that is scheduled to run in the morning, this process chain would transfer the data from the R/3 system to the BW system. Many a times, this process chain fails stating that there is not enough space available in the tablespace PSAPPBW, So my seniors have to add some amount of space say 7-10 GB on a daily basis. They want me to find out what is the average utilization of memory that takes place when the process chain runs.

If the process chain stops at a particular stage, then the remaining steps are to be carried out manually which is a tedious process, so I wanted to know how much space is utilized on a daily basis.

The data provided in DB02 is really confusing, here's what it shows,

DB size - 1221.153 GB

Free Space - 87.28 GB almost 7%

Now I click on Current Sizes and this gives me the details about the different tablespaces, I click on Space Statistics and this gives me chg/day which is 2 GB in all for total. Now here's the actual problem, I am not able to understand, that if 7-10 GB of space is suppose to be added every day, then why the chg/day is just 2 GB, and where does the remaining amount go, I always refresh the system statistics in the Transaction DB02 before checking them. Why do we receive the error stating no space in Tablespace?

I also wanted to know how to find out the total hard disk size since I donot have access to the actual server, Moreover the files SAPDATA1, 2, 3, 4 in all take a space of around 1265 GB(Transaction ST06 -> FileSys), Now how is this possible since the Database size in DB02 is 1221.153 GB,

I have hammered my head to find out answers to questions like these,

Please help me if you can eric.

Regards

Sree.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ST06 and DB0w are probably calculating data different ways. maybe one of them thinks that 1GB =1,000,000,000 bytes, and the other thinks that 1GB is 102410241024=1,073,741,824. That may explain the difference.

when process chains are running, it is probably using the PSA (or ODS). This is called the pre-staging area and is used for temporary purposes. maybe a process is actually cleaning this up after usage. so, this may explain why you are not seeing this space being used the next morning.

Here's an example of my DB02 for one tablespace:

Scale: Day                Size (Kbyte)     Free(Kbyte)       Used (Kbyte)         %-Used
  Tablespace            Total     Chg/day     Total       Total     Chg/day     Total   Chg
PSAPBTABI            114,360,320   90,394      117,440 114,242,880     86,916     99      0

90,394 is the tablespace growth

86,916 is the actual used space growth.

anyways, your DBA should setup multiple datafiles in advance for PSAPPBW and put all of them as autoextendable. This will resolve the issue and avoid out-of-space issues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi eric,

dude, you really are a genius, Thanks a lot for the above explanation man, I think that solves many of my questions. I really appreciate that.

Regards,

Sreekul Nair.

Answers (0)