cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRRESTORE command opens the database automatically

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have a very old version of SAP (3.1i) running on Oracle 7. We are currently using the below command to backup and restore the database:

brbackup -u / -c -m all -t offline -a -c force -cds

brrestore u2013m full u2013b logxx.aft u2013c

But, using these commands we are unable to recover any archive logs as the database is in open state after the restore automatically which is generating its own log sequence. We would like the database to be in mount state after the restore.

Please suggest any changes in the brbackup/brrestore commands to fix this.

Thanks

Vijay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

>brbackup -u / -c -m all -t offline -a -c force -cds

its a offline backup not a online. only you have to restore archive log if you restore online backup.

Cheers,

-Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

Thanks for your input. Let me detail my scenario:

We have SAP running on System A for which we have daily offline backups only. There was a crash the next day in the noon. So, we now have a full DB offline backup (of previous night) and all the archive logs with us (till current time) to restore it on a DR Server (System B).

We have tried to restore and recover but the system B wouldn't allow us to use the archive logs to recover.

Please help.

Thanks

Vijay

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what commands have you used on system B?

if you used "startup", database is opened and it is too late to apply offline redologs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have used the below command in System B to restore the backup (created using brbackup)

brrestore u2013m full u2013b logxx.aft u2013c

Using this command, as soon as the restore is complete, the command will also start the database as well as SAP.

I would like to know how we can use brrestore command just to restore without starting the database. I would like to mount the database myself and recover the archive logs.

Please help.

Thanks

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

are you on Windows sever? if yes, then try to disable or change to manual of oracle and SAP services.

Cheers,

-Sunil

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

brrestore DOES NOT start Oracle after restore. this is your job to do.

check http://service.sap.com/dbaora for guides.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No. We are on a old version of HPUX.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hm!, brrestore never start your database and SAP applications automatically. is it immediately starting the application after restore finished? can you check the db start logs?

cheers,

-Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have finally managed to understand how brrestore works. If the database is up and running, and you try to restore to it, the database will automatically open after the restore is complete.

If you want the database not to start, then you have to manually stop the database before you proceed with the restore.

Thumb rule: The database will take its initial status (before restore) after the restore.

This is specific to BRRESTORE and may be specific to my scenario (HPUX, Oracle 7.3 & SAP 3.1i)

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Vijay

Answers (0)