Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebDynpro and ABAP

former_member240526
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have been entrusted with researching WebDynpro Development and the languages that it supports for our Development roadmap team. Going through the many articles in SDN this is what I understand:

With the MVC ( Model, View, Controller ) paradigm of UI development for WebDynpro, View and Controller development and enhancement can only be done using Java. Is my understanding correct? In other words the traditional PAI/PBO's of Screen flow logic will now have to be done using Java? Does SAP have any plans of supporting the traditional flow logic within the SAP Netweaver Development studio? or is it imperative for developers to learn Java?

Based upon the information I gather, I will be making a recomendation to my Devlopment and Languages Steering committee.

Any and all input is highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jonathan Nischal.

Micron Technology Inc.,

Boise, ID.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

gregory_hawkins1
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi John,

I can respond to part of your question. Currently Web Dynpro for Java is the only version available externally to customers. Web Dynpro for ABAP will be available with NW05. Web Dynpro for ABAP will still utilize the MVC paradigm and the "connector code" will be in ABAP.

The latest version of Web Dynpro for ABAP that I was exposed to showed essentially the same end-user functionality that is available in Web Dynrpo for Java. Of course, the Java version offers some extra development options including developing on the local developer's desktop. (Rather than on a centeral server with ABAP.)

Starting in NW05 the choice will really be up to the customer for what works best for them. Judging from your e-mail, you sound like a primarily ABAP (as opposed to Java) shop. If that's true, Web Dynpro for ABAP may well

be the choice for you.

Hope this helps a bit,

--Greg

former_member240526
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply. You have answered all of my questions in a nutshell.This will help me make a informed decision with regards to SAP NetWeaver Environment.

Having worked with SAP for 8 long years, I do have a soft spot for ABAP:)-, , but certinaly not biased agaisnt Java.

It is more to do with resources/skill sets/languages and tools that are supported in our environment and how best to leverage them.

How can I get a preview of WebDynpro for ABAP?. I would very much like to see that. Feel free to send it my way. My email is Jonathannisc@micron.com .

Thanks again,

Jonathan Nischal.

gregory_hawkins1
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi John,

I'll have to let someone else field this if they know more than I do. Since WebDynpro for ABAP is not scheduled to be available to customers until NW05, I don't think there is a preview version yet available.

I guess I would expect it to come out some time after the general release of NW04 (likely in October).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

--Greg