cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The purpose of Windows in WD4A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

starting with WD4A and making nice progress I dont find an answer to these two questions:

What is the purpose of a window? I dont mean the theory, but: Do you create several windows in one component when you develop? Why and whats the benefit? I can imaging the benefit of seperating logic into different components so you can develop better in a team and code is more reuseable. But does anyone of you use create windows in one single component?

This leads to my second question: If I have one single component with one application but two windows: How do I create navigation links between the outbound plugs of one window with the inbound plug of a second window? I declared the plugs as interface. i declared each window in the "used controllers/components" on the property tab of the other window. But when I want to create the link the other window does not appear in the selection.

Many thanks for your thoughts on this from a noob,

Hendrik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

uday_gubbala2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hendrik,

I guess that you did better go through this blog, "[Practical tips for developing with ABAP WebDynpro|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/8402] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];" by Rogers Sainsbury where he does also discuss about the same concern of yours. Normally you can do with just 1 window in your component as you use a window only for holding together related views. You may consider going for a second window in cases like you want to generate a popup window.

Regards,

Uday

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Uday,

thank you very much for the information and the link. Its much more clear now for me!

Thanks again,

Hendrik

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

uday_gubbala2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hendrik,

You are right its not possible to directly navigate between 2 windows of the same component. Even the SAP help says like navigation between windows of the same component is not possible.

But you can however use an workaround strategy as how suggested by Suman Kumar is one of his earlier threads:

1) Create 2 views and 2 windows and assign 1st view to 1st window and 2nd view to 2nd window. Also create an exit plug for window1 with parameter URL of type string.

Note: when you create windows automatically an interface view will also create with same name.

2) Create application1 for window1(nothing but give interface1 ) in the same way create another application and assign interface view2.

Then write your logic in the onAction method of view1, call the exit plug of window1 then pass the URL of second application.

Regards,

Uday