cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Gateway Monitoring

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm not quite familiar with the SAP application architecture, so bear with me, if this is forum isn't adequate or I'm talking nonsense.

We are using the SAP Gateway as our RFC infrastructure component without any other SAP components. C# applications register with the gateway providing remote functions for Java clients communicating with the gateway via JCO. For performance reasons several C# instances register for the function name.

The task is to monitor the gateway to make sure a certain number of the C# instances are available at the gateway. The monitoring system (powered by Nagios) is running on a separate Unix host.

These are alternatives I see when it comes to monitoring the gateway as needed:

1. Enable remote monitoring on the gateway via the gw/monitoring property and use gwmon on the Unix machine to remotely query the gateway. Running the following command and comparing the result to the needed numer of instances implements the check:

echo GET_CLIENTTBL | gwmon -cmdfile - -gwhost GATEWAYHOST -gwserv GATEWAYSERVICE | grep FUNCTIONNAME | wc -l

2. Find out how to programmatically query the gateway preferrably via JCO.

The problem with 1) is that I have to allow remote connections to the gateway monitoring. How can I restrict access to it by using authentication?

As for the second alternative: Can I gather the information via the JCO interface and how is this done?

Are there more means to monitor the gateway?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for your answers.

Is my assumption right, that calling the SMGW transaction involves having installed more SAP components besides the gateway? If so, I cannot use this approach.

Besides that, I'd rather use the gwmon method, but I can't find information on how to prevent unauthorized access to the gateway monitoring features. When I set the property gw/monitoring to 2, everyone can connect. Can I establish some authorization method for accessing the gateway monitoring functionality?

Thanks,

- Jan.

Edited by: Jan Bernhardtg on Nov 19, 2008 11:00 AM

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, but this is what I meant, when I said "not quite familiar with SAP": What is tcode SMGW or what does that mean?

Thank you for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

you can monitor gatway in SAP under tcode SMGW

cheers,

-Sunil