cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDB Restoration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are currently planning to ship the logs for recovery in the DR site.

I am planning to take the logs backup with the dmbcli command.

medium_put logB /sapdb/<SID>/sapdata/backup/AUTO_<SID>_LOG FILE DATA 0 0 YES

backup_start logB LOG AUTOIGNORE

These files will be copied to the DR site to a exact location along with the dbm* logs files.

However, I am not sure which restore command to use as it appears the recover_start requires the backup label which increase accordingly. The plan is to execute the recovery as an automated script, I am searching for a syntax like "recover_start ALL" and does not require the backup label to be specified.

Please advice.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there!

There is no such build-in functionality for that and no automatic log-shipping/applying for standby instances at all.

Anyhow, your question has alreasy been posted and answered well before... check this thread: .

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello there

I don't like to steal persons topics, but I'm working for quite some time now on the same subject. Only difference is that I'm working on a Windows server (2k3 64). Maybe we can exchange information.

The info provided especially from Lars was very helpful. I've got it set up like a charm, just one thing is missing. I've set up the DB through [documentation|http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/43/6799434c355f6ce10000000a1553f6/content.htm]. This tells me at the end:

The database system administrator of TESTDB has the user name DBADMIN and the password SECRET

However, this is just not the case. The only operator you get is the one you defined creating the DB. This is an issue when you bring the standby DB online. While loading the system tables you need an system administrator. After reading [this thread|; I was able to create one, but this is not automated. I want to bring the standby DB online using dbmcli. Maybe you guys can help me out, maybe I can provide info on automating the recovery.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Martin

> I've set up the DB through [documentation|http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/43/6799434c355f6ce10000000a1553f6/content.htm]. This tells me at the end:

>

> The database system administrator of TESTDB has the user name DBADMIN and the password SECRET

>

> However, this is just not the case. The only operator you get is the one you defined creating the DB. This is an issue when you bring the standby DB online.

the part of the documentation you refer to is an example.

It is based on the DEMODB database instance and it is only given to show, how a standby-instance can be created.

If you do use the DEMODB, then your system administrator user is 'DBADMIN'.

Of course the database user names differ on your system.

If you're an SAP customer, then your users will be 'CONTROL' (DBM) and 'SUPERDBA' (DBA) instead of 'DBM' and 'DBADMIN'.

Sorry, but this is just a misunderstanding here...

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars

You're my hero! It works!

Reading your post, I found my mistake. I must have read the article a hundred times and the mistake I made was to think I can't use a DB anymore if it is brought online. This is not true, you only have to recover it again to use it as a standby DB. Thanks a lot!!! (can't reward you points, however )

Original post:

Thanks for the reply

Of course this is an example, I use different values. The thing is that I don't get a system administrator at all. The documentation refers for the creation of the DB to an example where the DB is brought online through the command

db_activate DBADMIN,SECRET and

load_systab

(http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/a9/ffa841c0dadd34e10000000a1550b0/content.htm)

However, this brings the DB online and is not usable for a standby DB anymore. So if I follow the documentation, I end up with an online DB that I have to use to setup a standby DB.

Edited by: Martin Loohuizen on Nov 18, 2008 12:40 PM

Edited by: Martin Loohuizen on Nov 18, 2008 12:59 PM

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

nice to hear, that I could help you with that.

Just to clarify for the rest of the readers:

The database manager operator (a.k.a. DBM or CONTROL in SAP instances) is the guy that takes care about the database instance.

He is not stored within the database, but in a special file which is managed by the DBMServer (this is the program you interact with when you're using DBMCLI or DBMGUI).

So this fellow is kind of 'outside' of your database. He moves 'the box' but does not look into it.

The database administrator (a.k.a. DBADMIN or SUPERDBA in SAP instances) is the overloard of what's stored in the database.

All primary users are owned by him (or her). The catalog is owned by him (or one of his schemas).

Therefore, think of the DBA-user as the manager 'inside' the database. He lives in 'the box'.

As a consequence, the database administrator user is also backed up, when you take backups of your database. And it is restored when you recover the database. It's part of the databases data.

That's not true for the database manager operator.

If you create a new 'box' on another machine and put in the contents of another 'box' into it (that is, you make a backup), you don't change what's outside the box.

So you can end up with a new database manager operator and the old database administrator.

best regards,

Lars