cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure a log out at user level and not at server level

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guys, girls

I'm trying to find out a way to log out a user after X seconds of inactivity. The only way I found until now is a configuration at server level. Nevertheless this is not what I want. I want to be able to tell at user level that user X is able to work 30 seconds without activity before its user gets logged out and that user Y gets 3 minutes and user Z doesn't get logged out at all.

Does anyone has a solution for this problem?

Manu regards

Thierry Renaer

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi welcome to the forums.

Many ways to handle things but all require the server. However in programming you could set a control to monitor each table -> user logs in you add it to a table, you have another process running and monitoring that table.

Each action of the user updates the table with their timestamp. Your background process running checks the timestamp and then drops the record if it's too old. It's more overhead on your server though.

Basically if the table contains no record to update then you force the login process again.

Pretty much standard and quite similiar to how the server works. Recommended option is the server level but if you have to then you could do something like that.

Using cookies, server side cookies or sessions to work with the table or without a table.

If I remember correctly there is a really good blog on server side cookies and session handling and all that.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot,

I was hoping on a more user friendly way of loggin the user out.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Three and a half years down the line a system restart (upgrade?) should have taken care of any open sessions by now. Also, Italy won the Soccer World Cup later that year, and Barak Obama is now president of the US since last year.

There is also new technology. Perhaps you want to take a look into SAML.

Cheers,

Julius