cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workbench Not Opening...Asking to save Workbench.jsp

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok ubber MII gurus....need some help on this one.

So it seems that the workbench will not open on a 12.0 b03 system instead i am being asked to save or open the JSP. So i'm assuming it has something to do with the JDK not being registered correctly.

Some other problems are this...not Java options comes up in Contorl Panel, No Java folder is in Start->Programs, No Java Console is in IE or in the IE advanced settings.

Java is however installed and i'm assuming running becaues NetWeaver seems to know it's there.

JDK: 1.4.2_18 64bit

NW: 7.0 SP3

MII: 12.0 b03

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Thank You,

AP

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sounds like a bizzare managed install - you working on a government job again? Permission problem?

Perhaps the hook into IE is not there - have you looked at the keys in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft registry location?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Most likely, the server is not returning the appropriate MIME type when it sends the results of the JSP back to the browser. It should be text/html, and if not, it may cause the behavior you're seeing.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alin,

There is a problem with that version of the jdk. Randy Lintz put together a very good outline of the corrective action a month or so ago. And others have reported the problem as well.

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike - I think they're two completely different things. The JVM issue is a "JSPM" problem (java support package manager) and what Alin is getting relates to "JSP" pages (Java Server Pages).

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Most likely, the server is not returning the appropriate MIME type when it sends the results of the JSP back to the browser. It should be text/html, and if not, it may cause the behavior you're seeing.

Rick,

Any tips on fixing this issue?

One of the things that seems to be odd as well is that there is no "javaws" installed anywhere. Only "javaw" is available. This leads me to think the install of the JDK might be faulty as well.

Let me know what you think...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alin,

problem is on the Java 2 SDK x64. They only install the SDK without:

+ Java Plug-in

+ Java Web Start

+ or public Java 2 Runtime Environment (which are not yet available for 64-bit Windows).

You will resolve this issue, when you install only the JRE on the server.

Please let me know the result.

Link with the official information from SUN (look on the section "Installation Instructions"):

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/install-windows-64.html

Good luck.

Pedro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pedro,

I thought about that as well...only problem is that we are not running an Itanium system we are running a x64 in which case we are only limited to that SAP only version of JDK.

I'm wondering if it's possible to install the 32bit version of the JRE on top of this....

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Problem: "...all development will be done from the server machine..."

Solution: Develop from a client with the proper Java environment.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So true Jeremy....usually not my decision plus hardware availability restraints.

Regardless, it's still nice to see all the feedback and conversation just in case anyone else runs into this type of issue.

Pedro has been great help with hunting out the details for the JDK install. All it comes down to is that Java WS and JRE are not installed with that SDK due to availability from sun of a x64 bit versions. So we will just have to work around it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmmm...sounds like a pathing problem such that perhaps an older JDK is being launched instead of the latest installed version. What might be happening is that the browser rejects the MIME type for the Java Web Start application since the JavaWS handler is not installed. Double check what browser version your browser is loading (on the system that it doesn't work) by opening the Java console.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rick,

No Java Console either...it's not available. I think it all stems from the lack of a Java WS/JRE with the x64 build.

Regardless, this box is going in the server room so we will have to use a client anyway to do the development. In which case it works like a charm.

I appreciate all the comments and feedback you and everyone has provided. It's been a lot of help. I think it might have been better to just run a 32bit install of the JDK initially to avoid this whole mess.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The general thought behind all this was the lack of support from SUN in regards to the 1.4.2 x64 build of the JDK which lacked Java WS/JRE components.

If installed on server then functionality is fine and users can work from a client instance instead.

Am alternative would have been to just install the 32bit JDK from the start.

erik_schrampf
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hey AP,

Try the following it may be a permission problem in which the Proxy is blocking WB from opening. Try typing javaws into the Run prompt go to Prefernces -> Network Settings, I believe depending on what java version and try changing the proxy to either User Browser or None. Similar to note\ 939211.

Hope this helps.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeremy: The Registry entry is in there...

Erik: tried running "javaws" but no luck, it's not found. Get an error saying it can't find it.

Mike: I think that link might be on to something, but they don't specifiy if they were using the 64bit version of the JDK.

Here is the install i have been using which seems to be a specific JDK developed for SAP by SUN: [http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/SAPsite/download.html|http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/SAPsite/download.html]

If we are to attempt a java uninstall and reinstall of 1.4.2_17 are there any gotchas that you all know of for NetWeaver?

Thanks...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alin,

it is possible, that you are working directly on the MII server? If yes, please try from a client pc.

Regards

Pedro

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alin,

I have not done it since 11.5 so I will let others respond. You may want to contact Pedro. He sounded like he has done it a few times.

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pedro,

You were right....IT WORKS off a client running different version of Java....client was on 1.5

Problem is all development will be done from the server machine so i need to fix the server. Any thoughts on what's involved on removing java and reinstalling the different version?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

So my two options as it seems are

1) Remove 1.4.2_18 and install 1.4.2_17

2) Install 1.5

Who wants to chime in with some thoughts on which would be most feasible in a NW environment. I would hate the reinstall to botch something up and have to reinstall NW all over again.

Thoughts...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alin,

the problem that Mike refered is with the Sun x64 1.4.2_18. With this version I recognized, that you

can't create new Queries (SQL, Tag,Xacute). We resolved this, with uninstalling _18 and installing

_17. Bad thing is, that we had to reinstall the complete NW... We not try or search for any other

solutions, because we are under time pressure. This issue has nothing to do with your issue. My

opinion is the same as Rick mention in his thread. Let me check some points and I will come back to you.

Cheers

Pedro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Be careful of which 1.5 build you use on the client. Be aware that I experienced problems on a client running JRE 1.5.0_17 similar to those described for JRE 1.4.0_18 on the client, that is the inability to open display or query templates. JRE 1.5.0_16 on the client works fine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, brain freeze. That is jre 1.5.0_16 has problems and jre1.5.0_12 works fine. Your mileage may vary.