Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTR VS Assistant Class

younghwan_kim
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, experts.

I'm having a hard time which one to use for text of UI element between OTR or Assistant Class.

Bounding text elements of Assistant class to context and mapping it to the text doesn't sound

good to me.

So OTR is better than Assistant class for UI element's text?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

alejandro_bindi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The best you can do is to reuse the Data element description from the dictionary, which happens automatically when you set a label as a descriptor for a UI element bound to an attribute with a DDIC Dataelement type.

Otherwise, the decission as whether to use OTR or Assistance class text elements lies in the need of the texts being dynamic or not. You have more details in this link: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/0a/784941bb75f623e10000000a155106/content.htm

Generally, OTR is the way to go. It doesn't involve any coding, just a simple UI element property setting at design time.

Regards

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

younghwan_kim
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for all your answers.

uday_gubbala2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kim,

I guess that you would generally go for OTR texts but the texts which you define using assistance class can have placeholders. This is something which isn't possible with the OTR texts. I guess that this would be the only special area where you would want to go for assistance class over OTR. This is what I had came up on myself, experts please excuse & correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Uday

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes for text you can use the OTR, its maintained centerllaly so once you have defined you can use it anywhere. You can map it to ur UI elements and u can programtically get it in ur abap code also irrespective of where you are, i mean whether u r using the assistance class or not ..etc..