cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global data types

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a Globla data type defined in one of the SWC.

I am creating a new proxy data type and I am planning to use Global data type. Can someone advice me on advantages/disadvantages of using Global data type.

1. In what ocasions do we use Global data types?

2. Does it increase or decrease CPU time? When we use Global type as a type to one of the fields, does it go Globla type first then go to standard types ( one of the typical int, string which is defined in Globla type ). This ways, will it not increase CPU and execution time?

Regards,

Venkat.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat

Refer this article that talks about using GDT as mark of standards

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/4037b3fc-fb52-2a10-4888-e28362af...

I am not able to tell about CPU timings using GDT but yes if we have complex types it always better to define GDT to make it simple to use.

Thanks

Gaurav

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

As you would have found out the global data types have been basically designed to ensure semantic interoperability, In XI terms consider a B2B scenario where understanding of the basic underlying information has to be very clear...and can be achieved by using a specific XML consortia by adopting a XML vocabulary as OAGIS,Rosetta etc...but this is not always the case as if the sender uses one format and receiver uses another then complaex mapping would have to involved as the same structure is represented differently in different XML vocabularies.

Hence we have GDTs to ensure that the basic underlying information is same to ensure interoperability.

Hope it helps

Regards,

Farooq

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Global data types are based on CCTS which in simple terminology is a widely used and accepted datatype format. In order to globalize the standards and formats used, SAP has initiated the use of Global Datatypes. It is not mandatory but you should use it for better implementation visibility.

2. I would just say that the fraction of time used for referring would be so low that the overall performance impact on an end to end implementation would be negligible.

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

My understanding is...

the extra time taken to refer to global data type is negligible compared to end to end processing for complex scenarios.

Can you suggest me a sample complex case you were referring to?

like, in my case... SWC is depedent on SAP APPL

have a scenario with around 48 fields.

few Global data types exists with name Date, String etc.. in which direct xsd:date and xsd:string are declared.

Can I consider this as a complex scenario?

if not, just let me know a complex scenario where I can use Global data types.

Regards,

Venkat..