Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cache clearing in MII 12.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Changes are not reflected in Production server immediately

If users are working and if some changes are made in MII they are not reflected . Users need to clear their cookies,history , sun java console and log off and again log on

There are url for cache clearing and resetting JCO but how these url can be scheduled to run automatically

Is there any good method to clear cache and cookies so that changes are reflected for users immediately

Please suggest

Thanks

Namita

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Namita,

It would appear that you are developing on your production server (which I would hope is not a typical long term strategy), or you are just experiencing design time testing hiccups. Changing Query and/or Display Templates, TRX's, web pages, and especially BAPI reference document structures, should not be expected in a production setting, which is why the client side browser and JRE caching measures are in place --> to benefit the runtime user experience.

In the client side Sun JRE console window (Tools...Sun Java Console) pressing the x key to clear the classloader cache should be the only thing you need to do when you've changed a QT or DT that is already known in an active browser session (closing the browser does this as well but for quick tests this is much simpler).

If a TRX is changed no clearing or resetting should be necessary since these are always executed on the server side.

If the Request/Response XML reference documents used by a BAPI or RFC are changed (like a ZBAPI might during development) then you need to use the JCOProxy URL to clear this cache on the server side (not a client issue).

If a web page (html or javascript text) is modified, then a client side refresh should be all that it takes, but this is impacted by the browser settings for renewing the temporary internet cache files. I've seen this be problematic with css changes, but reopening the page should do the trick.

Instead of attempting to resolve this with excessive scheduled URL's and forcing the clients to not use their cache optimization capabilities, I would encourage you to learn these caching features in such a way that you can clear the appropriate setting(s) based upon the changes that have been made.

Regards,

Jeremy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the detailed explaination

But it has happened at times if i change anything directly on Development server for me changes are reflected immediately but for the users accessing MII through VPN installed on development server , for them even simple validation of text box (change in JS) does not get reflected

It gets reflected only after few hrs and once i changed the logo and for users it got reflected the next day

I dont understand what is the root cause of the problem

Please suggest

Thanks

Namita

Edited by: Namita Tripathi on Nov 17, 2008 2:23 PM

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you describe the server landscape and MII version information?

Is there a proxy server involved that is being bypassed for you internally, but the VPN users are routed through it?

Regards,

Jeremy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeremy,

MII version is 12.0.4 Build(120) .

Development Server is Microsoft Windows Server 2003

No there is no proxy bypassed for me

I work directly on the development server and if like other users I access the MII url

http://systemname:portNumber/XMII/Menu.jsp through vpn from my local system then i too face the same problem that changes are not reflected immediately

That is if i log on directly on the server changes are reflected immediately after clearing cookies

but if the same url is accessed through my local system through VPN it is not reflected

Please suggest

Thanks & Regards

Namita

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So if I understand correctly, if you make a change in the WB to a web page and press save, then in your VPN session refresh the page in your browser you DO NOT see the changes?

If you remote desktop to the server and do the same WB changes, then refresh the local browser you DO see the changes?

Did you check the IE settings under Tools...Internet Options --> then press the Settings button in the Temporary Internet Files group. Unless I'm mistaken I believe the default for this is 'Automatic'.

Is there a proxy server configured within IE?

If you run tracert 'servername' in a command window what do the paths between client and server look like?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeremy,

I checked the Internet Settings its Automatic and regarding tracert I got following details

Tracing route to serverName [ServerIP]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1   294 ms   290 ms   288 ms  216.111.220.35
  2   290 ms   294 ms   287 ms  servername [serverIP]

Trace complete.

on development server also only after clearing cookies I am able to see the changes

Thanks

Namita

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What meta tags do you have in the head section of your html pages that are not refreshing as desired?

Example:

<m-e-t-a http-equiv="Expires" content="0">
<m-e-t-a http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-cache">
<m-e-t-a http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">

Note: I had to water down the text sample because of posting issues...

Aside from this you might want to check a bit more with the IT department or the NetWeaver admin to see how/why WebAS is not pushing the updates to the browser clients with a simple refresh at the client side.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for all the advice

I am very anxious to solve this problem and would really appreciate for your constant guidance

Since i dont know much about Netweaver Admin and also the person who has been handling the administration of Netweaver admin is new

Please could you let me know which areas shall i ask him to check why WebAS is not updating the changes .

Web Pages developed include the following meta tag

meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"

Thanks & Regards

Namita

Edited by: Namita Tripathi on Nov 20, 2008 8:15 AM

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try adding the missing meta tags.

Also - how are you making the changes to the web content? Using the WB? Using FrontPage or Dreamweaver and the Publish Assistant to push into NW?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will add the missing meta tags

I use WB edit the code and just do save .As whenever i see publish webapge its already present so i never use publish assistant

Thanks

Namita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you resolve it ? when i delete a jsp file in web,but it can be access in IE which is does not exist.