cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Explain Archive Messages & Archive Database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

well we have little problem concerning database in PI-System.

We have a standard archive-job for oracle-database which is doing well. This is basis-stuff!

But for PI we haven't done any archiving yet that means that all messages from the start of running the system is still available for monitoring! Because the table-space of some tables in oracle are increasing we have to focus the issue of archiving the processed messages!

But for me as PI-Developer i want to understand the difference. Because we already archive oracle via basis-configuration, which means within oracle an with the BRTOOLS i didn't get why we have to archive the message too?! Isn't this done with basis-configuration?!

Can somebody explain?! best regards!!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

SudhirT
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fritz,

According to me there is concept of Archive logs and Redo logs in terms of database, What we need to do is just to apply these logs to the database by executing some query in the SQL prompt(for oracle) or BRTOOLS.

These logs need to be applied to the databse to maintain the consistensy or by applying these logs database it commited.

This doesnt impact the tablespace growth,but the tablespace growth is dependent on XI messages.

However Archiving and deletion of messages on regular basis is required to put a check on database tablespace growth.

To stop the continuous growth you can schedule archive and deletion jobs for various interfaces and can activate the switch deletion procedure in SXMB_ADMIN.

For more details on archiving and deletion refer to sap help:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/ba/e7673c4edc1536e10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thx for ur ansers, i got a little light inside this issue!

br

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fritz,

I can´t explain you what is the difference between Standard Archive messages procedures in XI and Archive database using BRTOOLS, becuase I don't know it exactly.

What I know is that if you want your XI tables not to grow drastically follow this link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/0e/80553b4d53273de10000000a114084/content.htm

This helps you in carrying out maintance tasks like archiving and deleting messages.

Hope this helps you.

Carlos

Former Member
0 Kudos

No one?!

Please say so if it is a dumb question and i got sth. wrong!

br