cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Note 754143: CMS Server as a Runtime System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Note 754143 cautions against using the CMS Server as one of your track's runtime systems. It says,

"Do not use the J2EE Engine on which the CMS is running as a runtime system. When you import software components that have offline deployment portions, deployment causes a deadlock. In other words, the CMS is shut down by the import that it is supposed to check."

I am not sure I visualize what is meant by "when you import software components that have offline deployment portions." Can anyone give me a concrete real or hypothetical example of this?

(Like others I know, we have a NWDI sandbox environment, where SLD, CMS, a single CBS, and a single DTR are running on the same SAP Sytem XYZ. We have defined tracks whose development runtime system is the same SID XYZ that all of NWDI, including CMS, is running on, i.e., the setup the note warns you about. So far we haven't had a problem, but we haven't done that much deployment yet either.)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sid-desh
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Randy,

I will try to explain you this scenario with the help of NWDI sca files. When you deploy the SCA files for NWDI via SDM you may find that SDM gives you a message that for deploying NWDI apps it may have to shut down the server because some part requires an offline deployment. SDM then proceeds to shut down the engine and deploys the apps and restarts the engine again.

The note is guarding you against such apps only. Suppose you develop an app which while deploying requires the j2ee engine to be shut down, then while importing (via CMS) SDM will shut down the engine which will also result in your CMS going down.

This is what the note is trying to say.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sidharth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Sidharth. That gives me a better idea. Can you give me an example of a part of an application that would require offline deployment?

sid-desh
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Randy,

As i told you i have seen this feature only when i have deployed some of the SCA's given by SAP. For e.g. NWDI sca files as well as some other SCA files required during installation of J2EE Engine.

I have not developed one myself, hence i dont have much idea on that front.

Regards

Sidharth