cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we have to Upgrade solution manager from 3.2 to 7.0 in an Upgarde project .i have 3 questions

1) how much time is required for the solution manger Upgrade(in days)

2) when do we Upgrade solution manger,will we do it before the Dev Upgrade or can we do the Upgrade of solution manager any time during the technical Upgrade

3) we use Solution mnager to generate the Upgarde key ,Can we do it with any version of Solution Manager?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member209604
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> we have to Upgrade solution manager from 3.2 to 7.0 in an Upgarde project .i have 3 questions

> 3) we use Solution mnager to generate the Upgarde key ,Can we do it with any version of Solution Manager?

Hi Swaroop,

Are you using your SAP Solution Manager system to generate Installation/Upgrade Keys, only?

If yes, my suggestion is the following:

- setup a new SolMan 7.0 and don't upgrade your existing SolMan 3.2. This saves time and money.

- shut down the SolMan 3.2, once you have finished the configuration of SolMan 7.0 and the system is up and running.

Best regards,

Ruediger

former_member385033
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

to 1) The technical steps of an SolMan upgrade can be performed in less than 2 days, including backups, preparation phase, upgrade phases and some post activities. The run time depends on your system size and hardware, of course.

to 2) I dont' understand the question. Is the DEV system you are talking about another SolMan System? Please specifiy.

to 3) Yes, any version can do it.

Best Regards,

Holger Slomka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for your reply

in the second point ...i was saying we can do a technical Upgrade without using solution manager(solution manager used for generating the Upgrade key) so can i carry on with my technical upgrade of the development instance(after generating the upgrade key) without Upgrading solution manager first and do the Solman Upgrade at any stage of the Upgrade.solution manager is used by the client only to apply patches

former_member385033
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, you can do the upgrade of satellite systems without Solution Manager, after you generated the key, and you confirmed the required download files in the Maintenance Optimizer.

Holger

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

to 1) The technical steps of an SolMan upgrade can be performed in less than 2 days, including backups, preparation phase, upgrade phases and some post activities. The run time depends on your system size and hardware, of course.

Our (technical) upgrade from 3.2 to 7.0 took MUCH longer. It was a Unicode conversion (technical implications apply if you don´t do that), a combined ABAP + Java upgrade because there is no "Java Addin" installation available for Solution Manager. All in all we needed > 70 notes and a week alone to read all them. It was the most complex upgrade I have ever done before (including the UC migration). If we would have had a choice to migrate our Support Desk calls we would have done a new installation.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

We did the Unicode migration separately, so we could reduce the downtime. But of course we also had a huge amount of SAP notes to implement. I was just speaking about the technical runtime, the overall project took much longer, including preparation, DEV system upgrade, testing, ...

Because we already used CHaRM since end of 2005, we also had no choice to install a fresh system, but I would also prefer. Also we could not implement the new BC Sets for Charm, so we had to check the differences ...

Best Regards,

Holger